Author Topic: ANTIQUE HAND FORGED DAGGER  (Read 10096 times)

agreeneyes

ANTIQUE HAND FORGED DAGGER
« on: February 08, 2009, 11:16:07 am »
ONCE AGAIN I'VE COME TO THE EXPERTS.  MY HUSBAND FOUND THIS IN THE GROUND ON AN OLD 300 ACRE TOBACCO FARM IN LILLINGTON N.C. IN 1967. HE WAS STATIONED AT FORT BRAGG  AND WAS HELPING HIS FRIEND WHO'S FAMILY OWNED THE FARM DISC THE FIELD AND THIS POPPED UP FROM UNDER THE GROUND.

IT'S VERY RUSTY AND APPEARS TO BE HAND FORGED. THE BLADE MEASURERS 8 INCHES AND ENTIRE DAGGER IS APPROXIMATELY 12 INCHES LONG.  I'M NOT SURE WHAT KIND OF HANDLE THIS HAD BUT IT WAS MISSING WHEN HE FOUND THIS.

I'M CURIOUS AS TO THE AGE AND POSSIBLY IS THERE ANY VALUE FOR A COLLECTOR, IT APPEARS TO BE VERY OLD, BUT I'M NOT THE EXPERT.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 03:49:22 pm by agreeneyes »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: ANTIQUE HAND FORGED DAGGER
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 11:32:38 am »
Highly possible it had a wooden handle that rotted over time due to exposure - typically there were end caps on wooden handles that this seems to have.  Need to do some thinking on this.  Hopefully someone will pipe in soon!  Interesting Find!  Any history on the farm available?  When started - by who - pre-slavery or post....
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

agreeneyes

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 11:48:40 am »
I FOUND THIS GOING THROUGH SOME STUFF AND ASKED MY HUSBAND ABOUT IT.  HE REALLY HAD TO THINK ON THIS ONE BECAUSE IT WAS OVER 40 YEARS AGO.  HE COMPETED IN RODEOS WHILE HE WAS STATIONED AT FORT BRAGG AND BECAMES FRIENDS WITH A GUY WHO WAS ALSO COMPETING AND IT WAS HIS FAMILIES FARM. MY HUSBAND WANTED TO SEE THE FARM AND IT'S OPERATION SO HE WAS INVITED TO COME AND THAT'S WHEN HE FOUND THIS HELPING TO DISC THE FIELD. WHEN IT WAS UNCOVERED HIS FRIEND JUST CONSIDERED IT JUNK AND TOLD MY HUSAND HE COULD KEEP IT THAT'S ABOUT ALL WE KNOW.  IT'S BEEN IN A BOX SINCE THEN.

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 01:38:44 pm »
Interesting relic.  It's almost the shape of an 'Arkansas Toothpick'.  Obviously, not a utilitarian knife/blade.  My guess would be that it dates back to the Civil War.  There are people that deal with Civil War items and they may be able to shed some light on it.  One guy appears often on the Antiques Roadshow.  Maybe if you Googled him on the Internet he might know something.  If it's indeed homemade/forged, we will probably only be able to guess as to it's history.  Check closely (even with a loup) if there is any vestiges of writing on the base of the blade.  It was made for fighting or use in conflict.

agreeneyes

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 02:39:57 pm »
thank you for all of your help do you think is it something a collector might be interested in?

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 04:27:21 pm »
I'm sure some collectors would be interested.  Without any markings, I doubt it's worth much.  I'm sure a North Carolina museum would be interested but they prefer donations.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 04:55:18 pm »
I agree!  There are always collectors for something.

Don't forget, even if you donate to a non-profit - it is tax deductible!!!!  Maybe not cash in you pocket in the beginning - but ultimately!

Are there any tricks to seeing if there are markings -  that won't ruin the rest of the integrity of the metal? 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

agreeneyes

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 05:05:30 pm »
I've looked it over and I'm unable to see any marks but it is extremely rusty from being in the ground that many years.  I'm thinking if I clean it that would take away a lot from the value if any but with out cleaning it I'm unable to search for any name

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 05:09:14 pm »
Use caution as far as any touch up. it's called a spear point for obvious reason's. it could date too the civil war. in which case it has a value.

may be the texas Badger will stop in and say something.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 05:16:34 pm »
If you do a google. there certainly' was civil war activity in that area. I would'nt be a bit surprised to find you have relic.

agreeneyes

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 05:34:19 pm »
thank you I appreciate all of the information I've received. I'm still trying to research this so far with out any luck.  Should I contact a museum?, I haven't seen anything that resembles what I have so far in my research.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 05:46:53 pm »
I did get off of my lazy' umm. and took a look at some reference. knive's such as this were done in the southern confederate style.

It's condition is no worse than a battle field dug relic. Value wise I don't think it's worth alot. but every civil war buff in the country is looking for this field!

agreeneyes

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 05:55:26 pm »
thank you, so I should appeal to the civil war buffs?

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 06:02:51 pm »
Betcha it will. Hang in there and see if the texas Badger will give some advice.

agreeneyes

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 06:18:54 pm »
thank you, I will