Author Topic: ANTIQUE HAND FORGED DAGGER  (Read 10098 times)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: ANTIQUE HAND FORGED DAGGER
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2009, 07:50:04 pm »
I agree, Texas Badger seems to have lots of good advice on these type of items.  So, keep checking back....
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

agreeneyes

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2009, 07:53:44 pm »
I most definitely will, thank you

Texasbadger

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2009, 06:04:59 am »
Yes I agree with all of the above, wouldnt hurt to wipe it down with oil or soak it in high quality oil to stop the rust, some suggest spraying it with laquer but that seals the blade possibly causing damage should someone down the line decide to take it off.  Depending on how deep the rust is sometimes markings can be brought up on blade near crossguard by rubbing with a penny but oil it first,,,will take the rust off and wont scratch steel.  Let me know what your plans are with this blade as Im sure it would find a home should you decide to sell.  Ive got a few civil war collectors Ill contact today and see what their estimates are based of course on condition.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 06:52:06 am by Texasbadger »

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2009, 06:55:34 am »
And please include a detailed ''map'' to this field. just kidding but it may still be just a field. nothing built on it yet.

Texasbadger

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2009, 11:02:20 am »
Okay heres what the collectors say, ground dug relics sell best on the east coast, the main value of this item is the provenance or where it came from.  Get a notarized letter done from your husband detailing the find and store it with the blade should you decide to sell.  You might also get some tracing paper, the thinner the better and rub a pencil lead over both sides of the blade where it would join the handle forward of the handguard to see if any markings show up that arent visible to the eye.  If you could find some marks linking it to the Confederate side of the conflict that would increase value.  Right now all you have is a ground dug Arkansas toothpick type weapon with a story as to where it came from.  Suprisingly all sources state Ebay is a likely way to get an better audience and values varied from $100 to $350 guestimates as to how it would do on auction.  Hope this helps

agreeneyes

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2009, 06:46:41 pm »
thank you for all of your help and suggestions, they're very much appreciated

agreeneyes

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2009, 04:05:01 pm »
I received an email from someone that said my dagger/knife looks more like revolutionary war because of the blade and the guard.  I think it could be a possibility because the revolutionary war was fought in North Carolina also,  I was wondering what the experts think?

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2009, 04:26:35 pm »
I will stick to the civil war. there was battles fought there in 1865. last year of the war. here's and E-mail address to the battlefield museum.

bpearce@nc.rr.com ask them' if they will take a look.

agreeneyes

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2009, 04:55:47 pm »
thank you I just emailed them, maybe they can shed some light on this item.

Texasbadger

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2009, 05:30:33 am »
Id say color of rusting and level of corrosion puts it in the civil war period,,,a nice blacksmith made side knife that someone paid the village/town blacksmith to make.  Unless its marked thats where most of the side knives were made.

agreeneyes

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2009, 09:09:28 am »
Because of all of the answers I received from the experts from Antique Shop, I emailed Heritage Auction and their civil war expert gave me an estimate of $600-$800 which surprised me.  Because it's below their minimum of $5000.00 they're not interested in listing it but they took the time to email me.  I want to thank everyone for all of the help and information that was provided to me.  With that knowledge I have now listed this on Ebay, so we'll see what happens.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2009, 09:16:36 am »
It did settle the Question.it was civil war. and not a bad value to go along with it. keep us posted.

agreeneyes

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2009, 09:36:15 am »
I will, and I'll be contacting you again soon.  I purchased a 1930's-1940's waterfall bedroom set,  with dresser, vanity, mirror headboard and footboard and nightstand.  As soon as I can take some pictures I'll be asking for your opinion.  I've tried to research this a little myself and I discovered that these are collectible I'm just wondering why because from what I read they're made out of a veneer over wood and are very light in weight.