Author Topic: Tea Set ?  (Read 5910 times)

PJL

• View Profile
Tea Set ?
« on: February 15, 2009, 11:49:01 pm »
My wife recently purchased a Tea Set. Silver plated over copper it has three shields with the marking mmc in them the c has a crown over it-any info would be great.underneath the shields it says silver on copper could not get a very good shot at the bottom.I did do some research but came up short the symbol could  not be identified. i am probably way off but could it be made by the moulton family. in the late 1700s or early 1800s. Her is a drawing of the engraving. Hope it helps I am not an artist LOL
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 12:33:01 am by PJL »

railman44

• View Profile
Re: Tea Set ?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 02:07:04 am »
A photo or two would really be helpful.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 09:14:43 am »
Sometimes it is hard to get a good photo of an item....at least try.  If a legible one is not available, at least sketch out the mark, scan or photograph it and post it.  Then we can help you better!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 01:37:04 pm »
I think this is going to be a tough one. but a sketch would help.

PJL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 12:36:03 am »
I put A sketch up up but it is not a very good one. Thanks

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 01:05:15 pm »
That's a very good sketch. I have a match. but no info given. I will try to get the info.

PJL

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 10:29:46 pm »
Thank you so much for helping I was at my wits end trying to search online. Anything else I can do to help please let me know.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 10:42:35 pm »
     I also have a tea set with the same markings, I did find two web sites that basically called them unidentified,  Most likely they are American markings.  There were many silverplaters at the end of the 19th century that would by unplated items from well known markers and plate them and place their marks on the item.  This is as far as I got with my investigation of those marks.  If it is a plated item it would be made after 1850's.  Judging by the style I would conclude it was made in the 1890 or even early 1900,  Based on the base and the embellishment I can see.  Earlier then that items was much more embellished, between 1890's and 1920's things was made with a simpler style compared to the early to mid Victorian age.  However the piece in the center looks very Victorian and if it is silverplated would be mid 1800's based on the style.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 10:45:11 pm by ironlord1963 »

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 01:54:07 pm »
Thank you iron lord. they are elusive mark's. the book's don't list them. that center Hall mark is very strange.

PJL

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 11:16:55 pm »
Just wanted to say thank you to everybody for your great help. Would you know about, what kind of value these pieces would have?

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 11:39:45 pm »
To determine the value we would need a closer pics of each piece. and better determation on the condition of the items.   The piece I woould really like to see a closer pic of is the piece in the center.  That may have some real promise, but hard to say. Holloware is really hard to place value on without history and dates, and with unknown markings that makes it a bit tougher.  I am no real expert by no means but have done lots of work with trying to figure out values of silver over the past year, and would love to help if you can provide better pics.   

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 12:11:13 am »
   Here is a shot of the hallmarks on the tea set I acquired and a shot of the set itself.   I got this set for 25.00 dollars with a bunch of other silverplated items.   I not sure I would consider this a real value of the piece, for I got a deal, I think.  I think I may be able to get $50.00  on ebay if lucky.  This is something to help you get the ideal of value, but not a definate.  There are probably more experts then I on this site. 

PJL

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 12:54:23 pm »
Here are some other pictures of the tea set,  thanks for helping. My wife also bought the set for $27, although I was hoping she caught a really good deal of the value. But what most matters is that she loves it. Oh, every piece we have does have the same hallmark. Do you feel if I were to contact a curator they would be able to help Identify the marking. The set is in great condition just needs cleaned alittle more.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 12:57:20 pm by PJL »

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 02:02:31 pm »
     I think for sure you got a deal, This is a 5 piece set, which in it self is hard to find.  If the condition is good to great when cleaned I would say you could easy capture 100.00 plus for it.  Not sure why it has two coffee pots with the set.  I see the Tea pot and and the sugar and creamer and two matching coffee pots.  The only thing I don't see is a spoon bowl, maybe it never came with one.  All in all you have a wonderful set from late 1800's to early 1900's in my opinion.  Keep trying to find the hallmarks, and if you do please let me know.  I spent lots of time trying to no avail, even ask a couple of local antique shops and no ideal. 

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 03:13:19 pm »
I sent out some e-mail's. there telling me it's and english hall mark. I wish I could believe that.

Iron lord your time frame is very good. 1890's 1900 or so.  I suspect american also. Hopefully we will crack the hall mark's.