Author Topic: ANTIQUE SADDLE WITH PIN TYPE STIRRUP ADJUSTMENT LATE 1800'S?  (Read 2448 times)

agreeneyes

ANTIQUE SADDLE WITH PIN TYPE STIRRUP ADJUSTMENT LATE 1800'S?
« on: February 22, 2009, 08:24:17 pm »
ARE THERE ANY ANTIQUE SADDLE EXPERTS OUT THERE.  I'VE HAD THIS FOR YEARS AND IT APPEARS TO BE A VERY OLD SADDLE.  THERE ISN'T ANY MAKERS MARK AND IT LOOKS AS IF SOMEONE DYED A BROWN SADDLE BLACK.

THE LEATHER HAS DRIED OUT AND THERE ARE CONCHOS MISSING ON THE TAPADEROS AND IT APPEARS ONE OF THE BUCKLES HAS BEEN REPLACED. IT HAS A 14 INCH SEAT WHICH WOULD BE FOR A CHILD OR SMALL ADULT.

I'VE TRIED TO RESEARCH THE PIN TYPE STIRRUP ADJUSTMENT BUT I HAVEN'T HAD ANY LUCK.  THIS IS WHY I BELIEVE THIS TO POSSIBLY BE LATE 18OO'S.  I'M NOT AN EXPERT THIS WHY I'VE COME TO ANITQUE SHOP AGAIN.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 08:26:33 pm by agreeneyes »

hudsonhacker

• View Profile
Re: ANTIQUE SADDLE WITH PIN TYPE STIRRUP ADJUSTMENT LATE 1800'S?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 06:51:13 am »
I had my girlfriend look at the pictures of this saddle, and she is a saddlemaker by trade. Based on the pictures her response is:

Brown Dyed Black: Probably originally a black saddle; black saddles do turn brown over time, especially if they are out in the sun or due to wear.

Pin Type Stirrup adjustment: The pin stirrup adjustment is pretty standard. hard to date based on that feature

Age: Pretty sure it isn't from the 1800s. Saddles from that time period were not ornate, they were working saddles. Based on the tooling, conchos, metal work, and stirrups, it was probably a parade or show saddle. Difficult to guess age from photos.

Best advice, find a local saddlemaker or tack shop and show it to them. If you let me know where you are , maybe I can recommend someone in your area.

Hope that helps.

Hudsonhacker

agreeneyes

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 09:00:00 am »
I appreciate the information, thank you

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 12:19:03 pm »
This is definitely a Western saddle, and I'd probably guess a 'pleasure' saddle. I don't know how old it is, but it could possibly be from the 19th century as there was a fashion for highly ornate saddles even then, popularised by the likes of 'Buffalo Bill Cody'. Had to tell whether it's been cared for, but it probably would do with a good 'feed'.   Also, a 14" saddle might have been more common for  in the 19th c ?

agreeneyes

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 12:37:39 pm »
My thoughts exactly glad to hear you agree with me, your information is appreciated and thank you

hudsonhacker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 02:53:00 pm »
SHow or parade saddles can be valuable even if they aren't really old. Don't give up on price yet, have a saddlemaker take a look, it may still be woth significant $$$, especially in the Western US or Western Canada. Crazy price differences between east and west on these types of saddles.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 07:06:45 pm »
Looks like a pleasure type saddle !! Horn is wrong for a working saddle !!  And I am 5'1" and about 110 lbs and use a 15 "seat so would be for a small person !! Seat reminds me of my old Jumbo brand saddle I had years ago and it is not padded so its an older one !! Tapaderos were used on many better made Mexican saddles !! And this one reminds me of that style  !!

agreeneyes

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 07:32:22 pm »
thank you appreciate all of the information