Author Topic: GLUEOMETER  (Read 3856 times)

briank

• View Profile
GLUEOMETER
« on: February 23, 2009, 09:56:11 am »
We have come across an antique found in an old garage in Buffalo NY. We are hoping to get some advice as to what the object may or may not be worth.

It looks to be from the late 1800's based on the old packaging and has the words GLUEOMETER on it so it is not a Glucometer which are the results when searching on the internet. Also has "From the Laboratory of George W. Cummings" on the device. Searching either of these has yielded no positive results. More pics available....

Any help would be great! :-)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: GLUEOMETER
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 10:25:04 am »
Can you take a picture of the packaging as well?  City noted on packaging? 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

briank

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 10:55:07 am »
I have more pics but here is one of the packaging. :-)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 11:35:44 am »
One more request, what does the label say...specifically. Thanks
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

briank

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 12:09:13 pm »
All of the labels do not really have much useful info. At least to us. BUT I will post 3 pis of close ups of the labels. You should be able to get a "gerenal" idea of what is it saying. IF you want the EXACT phrasing, I can get. :-)

WE looked HIGH and LOW over every SQUARE inch of the item AND the packaging and found no numers, ID marking or patents labels.

briank

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 12:10:19 pm »
LABEL PIC 1

briank

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 12:10:50 pm »
LABEL PIC2

briank

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 12:11:19 pm »
LABEL PIC3

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 01:53:15 pm »
I don't know if this is what this was used for...but...

Furniture makers in the 18th and 19th Century used animal glues that had to be heated to a specific temperature.  Too hot...it was bad and could burn.  Too cold and it would not hold well.  Protein glue was a powder and mixed with liquid had to be kept at an appropriate temperature to achieve good results (it would initially bind with the wood but still be workable and then as drying time increased would become semi-permanent.  The good thing about this is that gluing was reversible - with heat/moisture added, even many years later, pieces were/are able to be repaired without damage).  There were also hide glues, blood glues, etc. 

An article that I found interesting about antique pieces restored was this:  http://www.wpatrickedwards.com/gluearticle.htm

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 02:12:47 pm »
I would have too agree. the label speak's of Glue liquor.

briank

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 10:32:45 am »
Does anyone know if this item would be worth anything or if there is any way of finding out if there is any value to the item? :-)

hogan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 11:50:23 am »
This is also known as a hydrometer.
It is used to measure the fermentable sugar in the process of making wine, beer, liquor.....
The hydrometer is normally calibrated at a temperature of 60 degrees, that is the reason that on the label there is a compensation factor included.

Why they are calling it  a glueometer, I am not sure.
If I were to guess I would say that it is from the word glucose?

As you have probably assumed, I make wine and beer at home ;D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 06:29:34 pm »
I do agree that it is a hydrometer.  You know, I considered what you said also hogan...my brother makes his own beer and has a thermometer that could resemble this of sorts....But with the "glue liquor" mentioned on the instructions...they also had to measure the temperature of glues and solids of glues....I opted to go with my initial finding.
I still believe that is what this particular one was used for.  Look at http://www.madehow.com/Volume-5/Glue.html under the section "The Manufacturing Process - Making Hide or Skin Glue - #2" and it refers to glue liquor.  In fact, if you search for glue liquor it will bring this up repeatedly about cooking/temperature, etc.    I do believe that this fellow found a way to specialize this one for a particular industry.

I found an old article...to throw a twist on this....that could have been what this was used for as well... search title "Resources of the Southern Fields and Forests, Medical, Economical ..." and quoting "With linseed oil and common glue, a waterproof material is made, which may prove of great use in preparing garments for our soldiers. Immerse common glue in cold water until it becomes perfectly soft, but yet retaining its original form; after which it is to be dissolved in common raw linseed oil, assisted by a gentle heat, until it becomes entirely taken up by the latter; after which it may be applied to substances for adhesion to each other, in the way common glue is usually applied.  It dries almost immediately, and water will exert no action upon it. It has more tenacity than common glue, and becomes impervious to water. It may be used also for furniture, and two layers of cloth may be glued together to form a water-proof garment. Glue dissolved in vinegar also makes a very tenacious substance in place of the prepared glues. See plates of machinery for pressing linseed and other oils, Ure's Dictionary of Arts, article “Oils;” also Wilson's Rural Cyc., articles “Flax” and “Linseed.” The processes are described with plates. Those interested may find there a full statement of the method of gathering, planting, uses, etc. See also “Olea,” in this work. Flax seed intended for planting should not be gathered too quickly. Flax seed was largely made in western New York. The yield is from ten to fifteen bushels per acre. It is sown early in the spring. If raised merely for the seed, it is harvested and thrashed like other grain. But when the stalk is used, it is pulled" " I see a notice of its being used by Mr. Cummings for this purpose...."   

SO....maybe Cummings who lived in NY was the one this referred to?!!?!??  No more mention and no more information!

briank

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 02:53:38 pm »
THANK YOU for all the information! Much appreciated. . . :)

p.s. George Cummings Laboratories was definitly in Boston Mass. though...see "Label Pic 2" -35 Congress Street, Boston Mass.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 03:06:21 pm »
Oops...brain hiccup!   The only thing the article ref'd to was Mr. Cumming using the glue....and my brain remembered the northern states!