Author Topic: Prints/Posters - Trains  (Read 3479 times)

Ellenshar

• View Profile
Prints/Posters - Trains
« on: February 23, 2009, 07:03:35 pm »
My father has come across a small collection of either prints or posters of Canadian Pacific (CP) trains.  The artist is "W.L. Lowther".  I am from Canada and cannot find any information on the artist.  I checked the CP website and they indicate that many years ago CP would hire (commission) artists to paint pictures of its trains.

My first question is how does one know if they have a print or a poster (i.e. what is the difference in the paper used)?  The colors on the picture itself are very clear and vibrant.  My father claims he was told they were actual prints, not posters, but there is no number on them.

My second question  is whether you have any information on this artist (I assume he is from Canada)?

I am attaching a photo of one of the prints, with a second attachment showing a close up of his signature. Thanks.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Prints/Posters - Trains
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 08:11:33 pm »

Art Prints (which include lithographs, screenprints, etc) are actually created, in limited numbers, by the artist, who signs and numbers each piece, in most cases. Posters are mechanically reproduced copies of an original piece of art.  The main difference is seen after a few years, where posters undergo a color degradation while art prints still retain their "new look" as prints are image impressions made on a superior paper grade and most likely acid free whereas posters are usually (not always) on thinner, less quality paper.

You might want to read this article about Lance Lowther from Ontario that does commissioned work on trains/trucks/etc.... http://www.etrucker.com/apps/news/article.asp?id=43654
This particular article is about trucks....but he has been painting for years and it states he has done trains.  It also states there are other artists in his family.  May be a start!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Ellenshar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 08:30:09 pm »
Geez, you guys/gals are good!

I think that might be him.

As for the posters/prints, they are decades old and still white as white can be.  However, I think they are posters as there is no numbers on any of them.

Thanks for checking.

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 08:50:28 pm »
Usually posters, which can be very valuable, advertise something.  I would expect posters advertising the CP or the CN would picture passenger service transversing the Canadian Rockies or some other very scenic spot.  I would also expect them to say something that would either intrigue or intice someone to use their service while stating which railroad they belong to.  While yours appear to be prints, both prints and posters are well worth framing using the appropriate non-acid backing and special UV glass.  My .02 pesos.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 12:04:48 am »
I'm sorry I didn't leave a comment as well....thank you railman44!  Was in a hurry....I agree totally.  They don't have to be numbered....especia lly if they are older!  That is a newer marketing concept that makes items more collectible! 

The prints look spectacular! 

AND....you would be surprised what some posters sell for these days!!!!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 12:06:39 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Ellenshar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 07:07:22 pm »
Just thought I would follow up with what I have found out.  I did a search of the phone directories in Canada and found him in Ontario, Canada.  He is William Lance Lowther, but he goes by Lance Lowther.  He just signs his paintings as W.L. Lowther.  I just called him and had quite a nice chat with him.  He suffered a stroke recently, but is happy that he can still paint with his right hand.  I The prints I have were done in the 70's when he was just into painting trains.  He was so good that in 1987 he was commissioned by big trucking companies to paint their trucks.  He is sending me a limited edition print of his most recent train painting, along with a couple of posters of his trucks (I am more than happy to pay for them).  He was a really nice man!!

He said back in the 70's the posters sold for $20.00 Canadian.

KC, the link you gave for "etrucker" is indeed about him.  There is another link if anyone else is interested at:  http://www.virtualmuseum.ca/Exhibitions/Highway/en_html/art_culture/03.html

I was quite excited to talk to him and thought I would just let you know about it.  I am attaching another photo of one of his trains - I just love the colors on it (which don't show that well on the attached photo).

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 08:58:15 pm »
Thank you so-o-o-o-o-o-o much for letting us know the latest!  That is very exciting.  It is wonderful that you got to talk with Lance and are getting more prints!!!!!

So sorry that he had a stroke, but am grateful that he can still paint!!  I think his work is amazing!

Thanks again for sharing your experiences with us! 

Drafe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 09:40:00 pm »
Very exciting you got to speak with him!  This adds very much to the provenance should you decide to sell them.  I would market these to railroad item collectors, they would have extraordinary appeal.  Should you decide to sell, be sure to include the story of your personal experience with the artist, which is very special.