Author Topic: Cameo Ring ?  (Read 3502 times)

PJL

• View Profile
Cameo Ring ?
« on: February 23, 2009, 10:59:21 pm »
Everybody was such a great help with the tea set. Just wondering if this one would be alittle easier. This ring is a white 14k. I have not been able to find an exact match. Just wondering if anybody would know an approximate year and value. Thanks Much. It looks like ivory maybe over a red shell  with a diamond in the ladys necklace.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 11:19:35 pm by PJL »

PJL

• View Profile
Re: Cameo Ring ?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 11:12:56 pm »
another pic

PJL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 11:16:55 pm »
sorry about so many posts the pic files were to big

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 11:27:34 am »
I'm sorry, but for me...the pictures need to be a littler sharper!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 12:14:57 pm »
I decided to get off my lazy uh.... goes with age! the picture's  are telling me the ring design is circa 1870's. might be best to seek and honest jeweler.

kcfoy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 10:23:44 am »
I don't know if this will help or not, but a cameo necklace that is very similar to your ring is posted on ebay.  Here's the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-14K-GOLD-DIAMOND-SHELL-CAMEO-DIAMOND-NECKLACE_W0QQitemZ380103497646QQihZ025QQcategoryZ58553QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Karen

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 12:16:43 pm »
I agree with D&b...I have a few cameos in our family...and couple look like her ring...both were made many years apart!  The value increases with age and maker....so you really need to try all resources and a reputable jeweler with knowledge of this. 

I even bought some beautiful cameos at the Wedgewood/Waterford store just off Trafalgar Square in London in 1978 that would appear to be like this....but they are not old!  Will continue to look for ideas for you...so check back often!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Drafe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 09:56:47 pm »
1). Try putting your camera in macro mode.  It looks like a flower/tulip.  This can show the detail.

2). Are there any marks at all?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 12:42:41 am »
Okay, saw a great/fascinating book on Cameo's today...."Cameos - Classical to Costume" 2nd Edition by Monica Lynn Clements and Patricia Rosser Clements published by Schiffer Books.

I didn't know that cameos were/are made from all these: coral, lava, Bakelite, amethyst, hematite, ivory, jade, celluloid, glass, shell, jasper ware (Wedgewood), shell and plastic.

The only ones in the book with necklaces were made from shell...and had nice values.  I knew shell, ivory and jade were most common/valuable from way back...

So...you need to determine your base!  Hope this helps!

findit

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 04:52:33 pm »
I don't know if this will help or not, but a cameo necklace that is very similar to your ring is posted on ebay.  Here's the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-14K-GOLD-DIAMOND-SHELL-CAMEO-DIAMOND-NECKLACE_W0QQitemZ380103497646QQihZ025QQcategoryZ58553QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Karen

heh.. its a cameo... wearing a cameo...