Author Topic: French Rent Desk - Standing Height  (Read 2539 times)

Drafe

• View Profile
French Rent Desk - Standing Height
« on: February 25, 2009, 02:03:38 pm »
Looking for some confirmation on what I suspect is the date/origin of this desk and maybe whatever else you can tell me, in need of some fresh eyes.

It's similar to a rent desk, the top is hard to see. Flat top at the back and a hinged angled lid.  Standing height.  Yes, have the broken piece.

What else could this be called?

This is a great forum, thanks a lot.

Lots of detail pics here, help with detailed description would really help me out.  Hardware all seems original.  Thanks again.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: French Rent Desk - Standing Height
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 06:20:17 pm »
Could we get a photo of the side and Maybe the back? look out Kc it's looking very much like a french country desk Hand cut & vintage 1860's 1870's.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 07:46:14 pm »
I know...I am drooling over this!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 08:44:48 pm »
It's a very neat piece of furniture whatever it is.  Obviously, very old too.  Looks to be walnut and walnut burl plus pegged?  Everything looks original.  I'm drooling too. ;D

Drafe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 10:30:06 pm »
OK updating my research.

I'm thinking this is 18thC Provincial.  The hardware, the through pegs, the leg style, that huge dovetail.  The way the wood shrank according to the grain, and especially how those through-pegs pop where they stabilized the mortice and tenon, seems a good indicator of the age to me considering the shrink of the rails.

I'll take more pics and look for wormholes, marks, etc.  Fairly certain the back is unfinished mortice and tenon boards, the sides are panelled similarly to the front.  A super pretty piece, I agree and thanks, I don't even want to repair it.

I'll send some pics off to the top 3 here in NY and see what they have to say, but what do you guys think of those details? I must admit the hardware fascinates me, that latch alone is a work of art IMO.

Couple references:
http://www.malleries.com/18th-century-french-louis-xiii-style-walnut-buffet-2-corps-i-8045-s-117.html?images=true#img5  hardware especially
http://www.cmarianiantiques.com/item.php?itemNo=559 leg

« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 10:40:52 pm by Drafe »

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 03:26:52 am »
I'm going to stick my neck out and say that it is at least early 1800's.

The hardware shown in the 7th picture has me curious as what its function is.

Drafe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 09:23:38 am »
I should have time for closer inspection today or tomorrow.  Much thanks for all the comments and help.

Interesting lock, the knob outside slides up and down to latch the doors closed, but the top inside lever can be accessed by removing a drawer to lock the doors entirely from the inside, with no key required.  I find it described for some 18th century furniture but haven't found a firm reference or the right term for it yet.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 12:10:39 pm »
I find the locking mechanism fascinating....have n't heard of one that would operate without a key from the  inside....do you have any other sources that you can refer us to?  Thanks!

Is this mechanism on the back side?  Would love a pic of the entire back side and side like D&b said!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Drafe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 10:23:03 pm »
I solemnly swear I'm working on it. ;)