Author Topic: Blue Antique Plates Advice Please  (Read 3217 times)

reber13

• View Profile
Blue Antique Plates Advice Please
« on: February 26, 2009, 06:39:28 pm »
Hello, I have recently been charged with the task of selling my grandfather's old plate collection. My mother received about 90-120 blue antique plates after his death. Alot of the plates are Rowland and Marcellus some Wedgewood. Here is a link to one of the plates I have.

http://images.replacements.com/images/images5/china/R/rowland_marsellus_souvenir_of_hartford_dinner_plate_P0000345659S0001T2.jpg

Now I realize the price range for selling these plates lands somewhere in the $20-$50 range, the question I have is more about where. Since all of you friendly people have loads of experience I thought I would ask what would be the best way to go about selling them. Should I visit a few antique dealers and get them appraised individually? or should I try and sell them all as a package auction on EBay?

I have a decent amount of free time so I wouldn't mind taking my time with them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance Justin

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Blue Antique Plates Advice Please
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 07:04:45 pm »
     Being a Ebay seller myself, I would first say go through them each very carefully and try and indentify the rare and valueable ones, those take to a dealer, Ebay will sell them but if not carefully cone you will make far less on Ebay.  If you sell them in groups, they will sell very fast, but again you want to go through them carefully.  A Antique dealer, or consighment store will yield better sells, just not as fast, Ebay will sell them but not for as much as they may be worth.  I'm not a Expert, but have done lots of Ebay work, with all the fees and etc.  I say you sell them elsewhere if possible.  It just won't be as fast.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 09:02:58 pm »
     I guess I wanted to start over and rephrase my first response, I have given it more thought.   Wow what a job this can be, kick back and get ready for some Fun. :D    First do you have to sell?   I started by getting a box of Silverplated flatware, and found so much fun that my wall are filled, but I have had a blast.  Go through them carefully, Find out what you have.   Some porcelain can yield more money then replacements .com will quote and most will be lots less.   Not to down play replacement, it is a great site, just take that with a grain of salt.  Get a couple of books if necessary and take each plate and spend a hour maybe two.  Get maker history and possible year etc. anything you can learn about it. 
    Mediocre and low value ones, yea EBay them,  but when you find that really nice one.  Ask yourself do you have to sell it yet?    With the state of the economy consider that right now it is a buyer market.  Sell for porcelain still is good but only if you offer them a deal, and post it just right.  Good pics, History, and etc.   Get a good price in your head what it is worth, take a couple bucks off and you will make a bit.  However if you wait until say around Christmas and sell, More will battle for you item.   True value of any item is what 2 people are will to pay, not one, that is a bargin.  If you can wait a bit do it, it will pay off.
     Now for the really good ones, especially the one you like.  Keep them and hang them up.   Now what will happen is after you have gone through all those plates and have gain knowledge and begin to love the plates on your wall.  You will then find yourself wandering the Thrift stores and finding that $20.00 that is only $2.00,  you take it home, post it, make a couple of bucks.  Won't replace your day job.  But it can be a wonderful sell paying hobby,  But then soon you will find even more wonderful plate upon your wall.   

In my opinion that is what I would do with the wonderful collection of Plates.   Enjoy I wish you the best with it.     

Drafe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 09:24:01 pm »
I agree with Ironlord.  Take the time to research them individually and sell the less important ones individually.  Keep the more important ones if you can.  I'm in the same boat right now, I'll keep what I love and what I know will appreciate when the market settles, and happy to say goodbye to the less important things I'm not sentimentally attached to.  It seems individual items always do better than lots.

Also, no need to go to an appraiser. Post clear pics of all mark's etc. and I'm sure you'll get excellent information from the members on this site.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 09:27:59 pm by Drafe »

reber13

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 12:50:40 am »
Thank you both for the very nice and thoughtful responses. I have actually been sitting on these plates for about 4-5 years now. I am no hurry other then to get the 4 large bins out of my room  :P 

I will take my time and catalog them each individually before selling or saving. My grandfather loved collecting things, he was a bit of a miser. You know the guy who has 12 coffee cans of change upstairs and 80 packages of toilet paper and batteries in the basement heh.

I will consider buying a book or two. And if need be post back on this site. I was a little overwhelmed by the whole ordeal but feel much more focused now.

Thanks greatly for your insight and time.
Justin

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 04:49:50 am »
From your picture it looks as if that plate depicts a town or state (state capital?).  In your collection do you have any calendar plates?  Lots of people collect calendar plates but most collectors are state specific.  Super old or middle '30's dates are hottest for the advanced collector.  Plates depicting just a town with a church, ect. are collectable but not as hot as the calendar plates.   

reber13

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 11:09:43 am »
I do remember seeing a few calendar plates in my collection though I am not positive how old they are. It's been a while since I have went through every plate. The majority of my collection are blue plates or shallow bowls involving some history of America i.e. Places and people of interest. I will keep an extra eye out thanks.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 11:19:37 am »
reber13...you do have some very collectible plates!  They were made as collectibles and fortunately....they have remained very collectible.

If you do not need the money...I would wait a bit until the economy improves...otherwis e people like us will buy them at great prices to sell at higher prices later!

A good measure is to go to EBay - "advanced search" - "completed listings" using the search "Rowland plates" to see how they are selling there.  They are selling better singly than as a group when you figure the value per plate.  The groups sell in a snap....but the return per plate is less.  There are quite a bit out there now....people needing money...so if you are in a place that you don't need the $$ (we hope and pray you are) you would be best to fare it out.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

reber13

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 02:20:43 pm »
Thank you for your advice KC. Luckily I am not too distraught financially. I will most likely try to catalog all my plates and sell the ones I don't value as much. Actually I have been trying to save up for a new electric guitar for sometime now and selling 5-6 plates should put me over the top  ;D