Author Topic: sleigh mittens  (Read 1378 times)

walstib

• View Profile
sleigh mittens
« on: February 26, 2009, 07:53:06 pm »
I have these sleigh mittens that belonged to my great great aunt. I am curious about the best way to store/display them.

Drafe

• View Profile
Re: sleigh mittens
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 09:48:20 pm »
These are charming.  Not sure what they're made of and I'm not an expert at textile preservation, but a highly trusted dry cleaner should be able to spiff them up.  I presume they're wool?  Professionally mounted in a shadow box (according to your taste and the era of the mittens) would be worth the investment.  If you intend to keep them, and you should, if you have any winter-sport pictures of your ancestors, a skilled framer should be able to help you compose something very special, a fantastic legacy item for your family.  Be sure to write the history on the back!

We had some old pieces of tatting from an ancestor, we mounted them in shadow boxes on old coral colored silk.  Very special.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: sleigh mittens
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 10:39:14 am »
Agree with Drafe.

1st look at condition of mittens and decide if you want to try and clean them.  Ask the trusted dry cleaners if it will harm the materials.

The shadow box is a great idea and great way to display.  Use textures to make it interesting! Pictures (acid free papers).  I have seen some fabulous and heart-warming family displays that touch an inner heart string on people who aren't even family!

AND Drafe....Bravo for the point about posting family information on the back!  So many times family history is lost...  Include dates if possible for the story...and the date the box is made!

If you do take this advice....please post a pic later so we can enjoy as well....or whatever you choose to do!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!