Author Topic: School masters desk?  (Read 3053 times)

ARanck2020

• View Profile
School masters desk?
« on: February 27, 2009, 10:33:37 pm »

This is a desk that I inherited from my father who grew up in Kentucky. The desk came from his side of the family. I have spent hours on line looking for a similar desk and couldn't find anything.There are no markings or stamps on the wood. I have not been able to decipher the scroll work letters either, since there are several combinations possible. I don't see any extra holes anywhere as someone suggested that it may have been pieced together from a sewing machine, but he had only seen some pics. Plus the scroll work for the book rack and the base match...and the wood from the two pieces match. It measures 30" wide, 24" deep, 29 1/2" from floor to desk top and 40" from floor to book rack somewhat larger than a students desk. It has an ink well and a indentation for a writing instrument and a slot in the front for paper.
I would love any knowledgeable information about the desk and also it's value.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: School masters desk?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 11:17:56 pm »
Wow, nice piece and very, very unique!  Don't believe it was ever a sewing machine!  Many desks were made of iron/wood in the late 1800's to early 1900's.  Mostly in the upper northern states and especially if the area had more $$$$$.

Take a look at the 1933 Kenney Bros. & Wolkins catalog on this site http://www.wolkins.com/newhtml/about.htm  Pages 10 & 11 are same style as your desk...just a lot simpler.  The design like yours is called a "commercial desk".  (My mom has the desk at the top of page 8.)

I hope this helps a little!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 02:10:34 am »
Is it my old eyes but are there initials in the lower iron ovals on each side?  Kind of different there is no adjustment for height on this desk.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 05:13:15 am »
I believe so, ... and I read them as, .... MCLI

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 05:48:58 am »
Or, MVL CO or MLV CO or ?.  The co I intrepret as company.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 05:50:57 am by railman44 »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 08:31:35 am »
Yeah....I saw those as well....no luck on desk mfgs with those combinations so far.....
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ARanck2020

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 06:50:08 pm »
MCLI is what I came up with as well, and tried all of the combinations I could think of, but came up with no leads.

Thanks for the replies so far, and for the catalog KC, those are indeed closer than anything I found.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 03:40:38 am »
My guess was based upon how I percieved the letters were stacked ..... one upon the other. But in doing so, it is only a guess as to whether it is MC or CM in that they are interconnected.