Author Topic: Mystery figurines  (Read 1579 times)

Rosita

• View Profile
Mystery figurines
« on: March 04, 2009, 09:31:21 am »
I have 2 mystery ceramic figurines that are probably at least 60 years old. They are 2 inches tall, hallow with no markings except the #s 1246 on the male figure and 1257 or 1267 on the female. There might have been a cork or stopper that sat on their heads but has long ago disintegrated. One is tan and the other is light blue. I don't really care about value but am wondering what they might have been used for ???Any answers out there.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: Mystery figurines
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 12:23:27 pm »
My first thought was a pie Bird. assumeing there was a matching hole in the bottom. My second was a tooth pick holder. Wrong according to Carole Bess White. Author of made in japan ceramics.

There his and her's. tooth brush holders. and surpriseing is the value. $ 100.00 Dollars.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 02:00:38 pm »
Wow! Who would'a thought?!?!?  I thought a toothpick holder....or a salt or pepper holder (if corks would fit).....
LEARN SOMETHING NEW EVERYDAY!!!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Rosita

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 07:30:51 pm »
To #1, I don't think they were tooth  pick holders(although they could be used for that now) because I found a sticky substance in one of them. You think that they might be worth $100.00? They couldn't be a pie bird because they have a bottom. Thanks for your comments.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 06:16:59 am »
I Don't write the book's. and No I personally, doubt there worth a $ 100.00 dollars. as for the substance contained with in I can't speak for what other purpose they may have been used for.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 11:45:11 am »
Old toothpaste can be sticky!  You are very fortunate if it is in a book....there are so many unidentified items out there that continue to haunt us as to what-in-the-world they were used for!

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!