Author Topic: Hmm to buy or not to buy  (Read 1040 times)

amiga

• View Profile
Hmm to buy or not to buy
« on: March 08, 2009, 07:55:16 pm »
I have been offered an olivetti valentine portable typewriter for $50. I have done the research and know it is of value but the values I find ranged from $16 on one ebay site to $750 in america. Does anyone know what it is worth. It is in good condition missing one shift key button. The case is included and in good condition. It is red which is apparently a good thing lol. To buy or not to buy that is the question?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Hmm to buy or not to buy
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 10:38:20 pm »
I do believe if it is working, undamaged you will definitely get your money back plus much more!  This is a very famous typewriter produced by Olivetti in 1969 and is even displayed in the permanent design collection of the Museum of Modern Art, New York, the Los Angele's County Museum of Art, etc, Virtual Typewriter Museum, etc!  It's the design that have collectors crazy over it!

Good site "The Portable Typewriter Reference Site" .....www.geocities.com/wbd641/PortablesIndex.html   go to Italiy, Olivetti  Shows this one!!!

Typewriter Forum to ask the questions to:  groups.yahoo.com/group/theportabletypewriterforum/  (must join!)

See the going price for one on auction at: www.kaboodle.com/reviews/retro-olivetti-valentine-typewriter-by-ettore-sottsass

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!