Author Topic: Is this a Piece of Junk  (Read 1678 times)

sazzler32

• View Profile
Is this a Piece of Junk
« on: March 10, 2009, 06:47:02 am »
Hi Ive had this for some time now and before that it was my grandads and he had it for as Long as I remember, I do not even know what it is made out of (could be stone )
It has no marking what so ever, Im kinda thinking its just a piece of Junk am I right please. All replies will be gratefully received   

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Is this a Piece of Junk
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 07:47:17 am »
     First I would not consider it junk, may cat figurine collectors out there would pay something for it.  Not sure what it is made of, looks like heavy glazed pottery from here.  Like someone took a mold, filled it with Terra cotta and glazed and glazed and then glazed it again.  Is it solid and heavy?, or is it hollow. Personally I would place it on a shelf if you like the looks of it, if not give or sell it to a cat loving friend for a couple of dollars.  Without any marking history would almost be impossible to tell.  Since it was your grandfathers you can at least establish a min. age.  Sorry I can't be more help.  I think it is kinda cool looking anyway.   

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 08:08:30 am »
 :)Iron lord is correct. it's called redware due to the fact they used red clay it's showing some age. and may even be english.if it could be attributed to pennsyvania. we could be thinking, some $$$$$$

sazzler32

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 08:18:48 am »
Firstly thanks for the info however I do not want it and was wondering if I were to sell it where would be the best place to sell it as my house is very busy with children and wouldnt want it broken but would like some1 to look after it.  :)

sazzler32

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 08:20:15 am »
     First I would not consider it junk, may cat figurine collectors out there would pay something for it.  Not sure what it is made of, looks like heavy glazed pottery from here.  Like someone took a mold, filled it with Terra cotta and glazed and glazed and then glazed it again.  Is it solid and heavy?, or is it hollow. Personally I would place it on a shelf if you like the looks of it, if not give or sell it to a cat loving friend for a couple of dollars.  Without any marking history would almost be impossible to tell.  Since it was your grandfathers you can at least establish a min. age.  Sorry I can't be more help.  I think it is kinda cool looking anyway.   

Yes it is solid not hollow and is heavy-ish  ::)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 08:52:13 am by sazzler32 »