Author Topic: JG Meakin dinner set ID Help China  (Read 2576 times)

Doris104

• View Profile
JG Meakin dinner set ID Help China
« on: March 10, 2009, 03:53:30 pm »
We have 12-9" plates, 12-7" plates, 12-6" plates, 12-5 1/2"saucers, 7-8" plates, 1-7 12" bowl, 8-6" bowls, 12-5 1/2" bowls, 11-cups, 1 gravy boat, 1-12x11" platter,and 1-16x12 1/4 platter.  Any help on the pattern name and the values would be greatly appreciated.  Some of the pieces have the first mark and others have the bottom mark.  There are also some that are have a grey tree in the middle and others have a dark blue, but they are all the same pattern.

Thanks,
Doris

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: JG Meakin dinner set ID Help China
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 08:41:29 pm »
     This is a wonderful looking plate,  I did a little leg work to look in to JG Meakin.   19th century start, After 1890 place England on it's pieces, not really sure but may still be in Business.  I found lots of wonderful stuff by JG Meakin, looks like they loved to tip the edge of Art Deco.   First, I would say the market is full of JG Meakin items, however with the bids on the stuff in EBay, I would say that it has a good collector base.  Most important in the world of porcelain is looks then Age.  You have the looks for sure, and I would easy give a pretty penny for a full set.  If I walked into a consignment store I would drop 3 bills, think hard $350.00, just from the looks alone.    How many pieces do you have?  I did see lots of pieces in all price ranges one plate may yield you $10.00.   Keep in  mind I am not a collector of porcelain, but buy it from time to time, A real collector will give you a better history and value, but sometimes the real value is what people like me are willing to spend.   Hope that help, starting to get long winded here sorry.. 

Doris104

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 09:07:50 pm »
Where were you looking when you saw all of the Meakin pieces?  I would sure like to have a look there!!  It is a beautiful set and I have listed th number of the pieces that we have at the top of my first post.  It is almost a complete 12 piece setting.  I need to get the value of this before the antique dealer comes on Friday, so any help is greatly appreciated.  I am on vacation at my parents house and my relative was going to just toss this in the garbage, so my dad brought it home.  I don't have any of my books with me to even look at and the library has none of the good books for looking things up. >:(

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 09:46:59 pm »
For current values at Replacements LTD go to www.replacements.com/webquote/MEKINP.htm  Your pattern is Indian Prince - this should help you!  (Note an antique dealer won't pay you this amount because they want to make a profit...but at least you know the ball park of the value so they don't take advantage!)

Definitely a loss for your relative and a gain for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let us know how it goes!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 09:49:32 pm »
Ebay can yield a lot of information but usually general, this is where I started, then Ruby Corners and etc.   Many Dealers on line,  didn't try replacements yet, tend to have little information and much inflated prices from the real world.  However since you are dealing with a antique dealer, see what you can find as for value at replacements.com.  I'll go do the same for my own interest, see what they have.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 09:50:27 pm »
Looks like KC beat me to the draw   ;D

Doris104

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 08:04:50 am »
Can anyone help me with a value on the platters, gravy bowl with tray attached, and a 7 1/2" bowl.  I looked at the sites listed in this thread and couldn't find any values for these items.  The rest were there.  Thanks again.