Author Topic: Porcelain Humidor  (Read 3142 times)

ejg593

• View Profile
Porcelain Humidor
« on: March 25, 2009, 01:37:04 pm »
I have come across a family heirloom that is an old porcelain humidor.  I am trying to research it on-line, but haven't had any luck.  I did come across a thread posted here in 1997 by a gentleman with the exact same item, he asked any info to be emailed to him- so nothing was on here as a follow up.  I tried emailing him, but that address no longer works.

Anyway, the item is a box 12"x12"x15" & extremely heavy.  It is covered in large, white porcelain tiles.  The edges, hinges, & latch are metal with the door opening on the front.  There is a manufacturer tag above the door that reads:
Porcelain Cigar Case
Patented July 11 1899, June 16 1900, June 24 1902
Made by the Wilke MFG CO
Anderson, IND

Again- I can't find information on this item or the company on-line.  Thanks for any help you can give me.

-Eric

railman44

• View Profile
Re: Porcelain Humidor
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 02:40:19 pm »
Pictures would certainly help.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 03:23:22 pm »
I  would like to see a picture. but will pass on the info I have. they were and ice box manufactureing co. working from 1897 to at least 1905.

Oddly enough there ice box's were also a adorned in heavy tiles.

ejg593

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 08:36:32 am »
As you can see, it's rather small- 12inches x 12 inches x 14inches deep.  The interior space is even smaller.  I didn't measure the interior, but you can get the idea by the opening & the thickness of the door.  The box weighs 50lbs.  I haven't done anything to it yet, although am planning on cleaning it up.  Right now I'm just in the research stage of the project.  Again, thanks for any info. 

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 12:21:46 pm »
Wow....that is for some kind of serious cigar protection! The Fort Knox of humidors! Ha!  I have NEVER seen one like this before!!!!  I bow to the others for information!

Okay...my thoughts would be that this was used to travel with!!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 12:23:26 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 12:39:05 pm »
Too Heavy to travel with.it also came with a stand. look's to be a one box unit but may have fit two. I would suggest a $450.00 Dollar value.

I suggest it was designed. to advertise there ice box's of which were designed in the same manner.

ejg593

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 02:08:41 pm »
The bottom is not covered in tile & just sort of plain & ugly.  The post I found on here from the guy who had one of these cases said his was on legs; which collaborates your story.  I also wouldn't think this was a travel case- I've lugged this thing around & it's not easy.  It's too heavy & awkward to carry.  It doesn't have handles or wheels or anything to make it convenient for packing.  Unless it was mounted in a rail car or the back of a limo or something.

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 06:05:04 pm »
Very cool item!  I would think it would easily be worth $450.  Except for it's size, I would have almost guessed it was commercial in nature.