Author Topic: need help identifying chair  (Read 1228 times)

djsanders

• View Profile
need help identifying chair
« on: March 30, 2009, 04:33:17 pm »
hello. I'm trying to find some info on this chair that my husband's grandma has. it was found by her brother a long time ago at an abandoned ranch house in texas. here's some pics:

any info is appreciated. TIA

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: need help identifying chair
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 05:08:18 pm »
Can you' believe some one would leave this behind ? Italian Renaissance 17 century. excuse me while I ask KC to see the chair.

We can't confirm it's age. only it's style.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 08:07:02 pm »
B&d - I almost lost my breath when I saw this...Could this be a true Italian Renaissance Dante chair - also referred to as a "X" chair?  The multiple-spoked version is known as the "Savonarola" and was named after the charismatic Dominican monk Girolamo Savonarola - back in it's beginnings was only available to the most wealthy.  The hand-carved chair was made with a scissor-like principle that allowed it to be folded and easily moved.  Originally made of walnut and in 16th Century was adorned with motifs popular with the Italian carvers that included cupids, grotesque masks, scrolled foliage, and strapwork.  This could range from early 17C to early 19C!!! If it is in fact a "TRUE" original Savonarola. WOW and I say again WOW! Value could be in the thousands!  

That being said...there are knock offs that have been made over the years - and if your uncle found this in Texas....well....so me knockoffs have come up from S America and Mexico and in spanishis called a "jamugas"! If this one is a knock off (and from the appearance I am not so sure that it is) it would be worth a few hundred.  However, I have never seen one with this many spokes - typically these have large legs.

Get a trusted appraiser to evaluate it - hands on!  This is one of those things that we cannot call from a picture!  You could have a real prize there monetarily...and if not....it is still a prize! 

Please let us know what you find out!

« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 12:23:54 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 08:42:40 am »
 kc true spoken word's. best bet is try to avoid local antique dealers. the patina is a bit lighter than I would expect. but there can be lot's of reason's for that.

The chair deserves a decent appraisal.it may be the oldest piece of furniture we have seen here.