Author Topic: Can someone give me any info on this cow?  (Read 2457 times)

luckyone

• View Profile
Can someone give me any info on this cow?
« on: April 01, 2009, 01:56:39 pm »
I've been searching antique sites and can't find anything on this cow. Can anyone give me any info on it? Is it worth anything? It stands about 5 1/2" tall and is about 5 inches long. It has only 53/180 written/stamped on the bottom and no other markings. It has 2 holes in the butt end.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Can someone give me any info on this cow?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 06:19:36 pm »
Is one leg "open" into the cavity of the cow?

This appears to be made in the time line of the 50's to 60's.

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 07:57:06 pm »
O.k this one is a bit weird, had me staring at the cow butt for what seems to have been hours, only minutes I'm sure.  Why would you put holes in the butt of the cow.   I give, (uncle), can't wait to see what the responses to this one will be.   I did keep coming back to something smelly, at least the expression on the cow would seem to be inviting you to well, get you nose a bit closer.  Agggh  This is warping my brain for sure.  KC maybe on to something if it in fact has a hole in the bottom of the foot.    As for me well I will be watching this one every so often, may even peak back to get a closer look   ;D.   You got to love this site.     

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 09:25:43 pm »
Okay Ironlord, I was laughing my head off at your comments....my family had to come in and see what I was cracking up at!''

They made tons of salt and pepper shakers from the late 30's to 60's  - two hole is usually for pepper!  Yes...they made alot of salt & pepper shakers that the S & P came out of the south end of a north bound cow!  If the one leg is hollow (they made some - not very many that way) a small cork would fit in the hole!

They also made holders for baking soda to go in the fridge - to absorb odors (not give them off!)!

One more thing....if the holes were big enough.... have come across some unusual cigarette holders since someone posted a cigarette tray/holder months ago!!

Elsie the cow (Borden's milk) even came about 1945  during the  popularity of animals in marketing! Elmer the Bull came about with Elmer's Glue.  (In fact it is rumored that they are married!)  In fact, go look at the cartoon caricature "Elsie the Cow" from 1945 and this one sure resembles her!  They made all kinds of ceramics (cookie jars, creamers, lamps...) but the ones they made that I have seen are more serious looking than the cartoon character.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 11:14:52 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile

luckyone

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 05:59:33 am »
Thanks for all the comments! All four legs are hollow and open into the cow. The holes on the butt are about 3/8" across each. Too big for salt and pepper!

luckyone

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 06:06:55 am »
Cougar,
That's definitely her! What do the numbers mean on the bottom? Mine were 53/180. The one on the link were 53/707. They seem to have some question of who or what she is too! :D

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 07:07:24 am »
The hollow foot is a vent, other wise it would explode in the kiln you see round hole's in all kiln fired figures. if this was a limited edition print. 53/180 would indicate you have number 53 out of 180. I'am inclined to believe it's a stock number.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 11:21:35 am »
53/ 180 is a stock number used by  Norcrest ( japan)