Author Topic: Kalamazoo Emperor Wood Cook Stove  (Read 9000 times)

abamick

Kalamazoo Emperor Wood Cook Stove
« on: April 03, 2009, 07:56:23 am »
I have a Kalamazoo Emperor Cook Stove very similar to the picture that I have attached.  The only difference is that mine does not have the extended piece on the right side and is in much better condition.  It has always been stored inside.  It was left in a house that was purchased in upstate New York in the late 1980's by my husband's parents. 

Any idea of it's worth?  I have someone possibly interested in buying it.

Thank you for your help! :)

railman44

• View Profile
Re: Kalamazoo Emperor Wood Cook Stove
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 12:47:32 pm »
Seems the all black older iron cook stoves (especially with some nickel chrome accents) bring the most money.  Different areas of the country affect the prices paid too.  If someone is interested and doesn't have to foot the shipping costs, that's in your favor.  If your stove is in 'ready to fire up' condition, (no cracks, missing parts or serious rust) I'd say it's worth somewhere between $400 to $700 (maybe more depending upon your area).  It's hard to say without seeing an actual picture(s). 

abamick

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 01:15:40 pm »
Thanks, Railman44.  We were thinking around $500.  The stove is not at my house right now.  It is in a log cabin that we are in the process of selling.  The buyers said they may be interested in the wood stove.  We would LOVE to not have to move that thing again.  ;D

Our stove is identical to the one pictured above, with the exceptions noted in the first post.  Ours has no visible rust that I can tell.  It is in great condition and it was hooked up and working in the NY house.

I will see if I can pictures of it this weekend.

Thanks again!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 03:10:48 pm »
I agree with Railman....$500.00 would be great for everyone...no moving and the buyer would be getting an exceptional piece of history - that still works!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 04:04:11 pm »
I agree $450.00 is a bird in the hand if they get too squabbling over the price. just imagine haveing to move it store it etc.

abamick

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 07:55:34 pm »
I got a reply from the guy who is selling the one in the picture above...$3500.  What do you think???

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 08:41:18 pm »
He'll have his stove for a long long time.  There are antique stove websites that offer totally refurbished old stoves at prices they obviously don't move many (if any).  People log onto these sites and get a totally skewed idea of what they have is worth.  $3,500 is the price range of a very fancy large (lots of mica and nickel) parlor stove (and at that price they're not jumping off the shelf).  EBay had a beautiful commercial wood burning kitchen stove with lots of nickel and in perfect condition at $6,000.  It ran for 30 days with no takers.  They lowered the price to $5,000 for 30 days with no takers.  In reality, it was a $3,000 - $3,500 stove.  It was indeed a very beautiful well cared for stove.  People get an idea of what something is worth and nobody can change their mind.  It's only worth what it sells for...

abamick

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 10:08:31 pm »
It's only worth what it sells for...

I agree.  I'm liking the $450-$500 and not having to move it.  ;)

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 04:21:50 am »
abamick, what you have pictured is called an “enameled” cast iron cook stove. These were mostly all produced in the early 1900’s and came in a variety of colors, even two-tone, but mostly white. The “enamel” is actually a porcelain that is “fired” on them just like current bathtubs are made. The extended piece on the right side is a “water tank” which was an “option” that cost extra. The tank had a copper insert for holding several gallon of water, thus the wife always had “hot” water for washing dishes, etc.

The non-white stoves command the higher price because they are “decorator” items. I would also say $400 to $450 would be a good price because it lacks the “water tank”. Now if yours was “green” enamel then you would have no trouble selling it. Most old wood cook stoves are sought after by those people who have a camp or cabin.     

abamick

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 07:21:14 am »
Wow!  Thanks for the information, Cogar.  I had looked on the web several times and found no information whatsoever on the stove.  I stumbled across this forum yesterday and you have all been very helpful.  Thank you!

update...The buyer bought all the furniture, including the stove!  Yay!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 12:03:42 pm by abamick »