Author Topic: Mysterious Antique Figurines?  (Read 2641 times)

awmartin

• View Profile
Mysterious Antique Figurines?
« on: April 04, 2009, 11:46:52 pm »
Hello everyone, this is my first post.  Just to introduce myself a little, I am a college student and have always been interested in collecting antiques. Lately I have buying random "antiques" from garage sales. A few weeks ago I found a pair of unique figurines that I thought were worth risking my eight dollars on.

The bird and the frog are in pretty good condition. The bird is in fantastic condition, and the frog is in good condition except for one of his eyes that have been damaged and since repaired.

I believe that both figures are made out of some sort of thick ceramic material which sounds like wood when you tap on it. There are no markings on either figurine. On the bottom of both is a single small round hole. I am wondering if by any chance you recognize the style of art that is on these figures that would be helpful in dating these.

These are links to pictures.

Bird
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa191/x2Cool557x/Picture039.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa191/x2Cool557x/Picture041.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa191/x2Cool557x/Picture042.jpg

Frog
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa191/x2Cool557x/Picture212014.jpg  (more detailed)
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa191/x2Cool557x/Picture043.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa191/x2Cool557x/FrogFront.jpg

Thank you for reading this and for any information that you may give me.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 09:34:31 am by awmartin »

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Antique Figurines?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 12:04:35 am »
     The Duck is a wonderful piece as for the other could not tell exactly what it is, turtle?.  Not so sure about the wood sounding Cermanic, but my first guess it is made of some form of Terra cotta.  With no markings it would be really hard to date or find history on them.  I would assume they are hand painted and not decals like most of the later Porcelain is.  Hand painted can make a bit of difference in recovering your 8 dollar value.  The hole in the bottom is just a vent hole during firing process. (learned that here on the forum  ;)  Thanks KC or DB or whoever that was.).  Anyway personally I would have had to think hard about paying 8 bucks with out markings, but most likely I would of payed that too.  Not sure the value is going to rise much above that but maybe.  I sure KC, DB, Cogar and the rest will help out a bit.  Just wanted to put my two cents worth in  ;D.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: Mysterious Antique Figurines?
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 06:36:11 am »
could we see a bottom view? I think the eight Dollars was well spent. lot's of collectors for bird's & frog's.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 04:30:19 pm »
These resemble the pottery I have seen from Mexico and S America - more popularly 30 years ago.  Hand made and hand painted ornately. (Unfortunately in the southern contiguous states these would come in by the truck load - other areas of the states they would be worth more.) Would value $10 - 12 for bird and  $8 - 10 for the frog.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 05:17:44 pm »
Your frog & Bird are retro 1960's ( English) surpriseingly a pair about $ 125.00 Dollars  considering one is damaged.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 05:47:29 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 05:44:54 pm »
KC your fine. notice the bird is wearing and Elm leaf  our friend's in mexico are adept at copying. thank's for the back up.

awmartin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 06:03:54 pm »
Thank You very much for the information. I'm glad that I found this site. I won't be one of those 1 post people, and will try to contribute in the future in anyway that I can.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 06:31:46 pm »
Just jump in there, anytime you feel like it' most young people get bored with the old folk's. I'am speaking for my self I believe I'am the elder. we have ironlord KC  cogar tim The texas badger & and short memory Ah & our fantastic Moderator. Railman and he does a great job ! keeping it fit for family members of all age's to view.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 07:42:15 pm »
Sometimes life has a way of doing strange things, Like watch the post on this forum and see something, then go out on a rummage run and you see something that was posted.  Well I happen today, I found two of these lovely Cermanic painted made in Mexico by the tons items.  Yes, I had to buy them.  Got one for 3.99 and one for 2.99 at the local thrift shop today, hope you guys are right about being worth 8 buck :D, cause my girlfriend just gave me a rash of stuff about these items, she thought I was crazy.  Then I told her the story about seeing some on the forum  .... etc, now she thinks I'm really crazy.  Anyway thought I would share this little tib bit with you.  Anyone want them for 8 bucks a piece?    ;D