Author Topic: Gold ring  (Read 2940 times)

tmbits

• View Profile
Gold ring
« on: April 05, 2009, 03:39:29 pm »
Several years ago my wife and I found this ring while walking on the beach. We posted ads in several places and it was never claimed. When we took it to our local independant jewler his first reaction was wide eyed. He said "regardless of the gold quality this is very old!" he explained this by showing me that the entire thing was hand crafted including the inscription on the inside. He then tested the quality. I can't remember the karat number he gave (I'm rather ignorant about those things) but he said it's about the purest he's seen in a very long time.
He also stated clearly that regardless the value of the gold I should seek to know more about it as it did appear to have possible signifigance, being that it was found on a beach on Lake Ontario. Possible mariners symbols etc...
I also took it to our local Museum that did verify it's authenticity as "antique" but was unable to tell me anything about it, or the symbol on it.
I have since forwarded pictures to various museums, none of which were able to assist me...most gold dealers were very interested in paying me rapidly but giving no details...I assumed from the reaction that it was of more value than they wished to state.

I would be very greatful indeed if ANYONE could shed some light onto the history and the possible value of this item. If not then perhaps guide me to someone that might be able to help me further.

thanks very much for any help in advance!

Sincerely
Tim

« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 03:44:59 pm by tmbits »

railman44

• View Profile
Re: Gold ring
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 04:08:40 pm »
Replies should be very interesting.  Gold is very heavy so if it were lost by a seaman on the lake it should have sunk to the bottom and stayed there.  The inside inscription appear to be only numbers.  The design on the outside almost appear to be from some fraternal organization (just a guess).  I'll stay tuned. 

tmbits

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 04:38:04 pm »
Thanks for that reply. I'm very excited to hear what others have to say about the value and history, specically the symbol and the inscription. I forgot to add that the one jeweler I took it to did mention that perhaps the numbers refered to the person that actually made the ring or possibly a method of weight and quality that was used wherever and whenever it came from.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 04:40:28 pm by tmbits »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 04:45:06 pm »
Very interesting ring!  Does appear old from the pictures.

I agree that if a fisherman/seaman lost it at sea it would have sunk to the bottom.  Because of that I would initially say it was lost by someone close to shore.

However, my in-laws were big shore treasure seekers and would go out with  a metal detector.  If there have been some good storms...the storm actions do churn up the water and bring in sand with some "lighter" items to shore.  

Now, that being said...I wish I could help you out...but am unable to.  Wishing you the best of luck!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 08:36:36 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 05:12:43 pm »
it is and antique ring.750 is european gold standard for  18 karat or 75% percent pure gold. 14 karat gold is averageing $28.94 per gram. sooooo...

tmbits

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 05:22:00 pm »
Wow! Thanks very much for that...I'm guessing the soooo...translates into GOOD news..lol...I really am stunningly ignorant when it comes to this stuff...does it show? I would also guess the antiques factor would add value as well then.

Thanks everyone so much!

I really wish I knew the history on this ring. It always facinates me that at one time someone wore this ring.

Thanks again!

Tim

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 05:41:09 pm »
The antique factor could weigh in. when it's age is determined Gold is injoying a new High. your ring about $ 35.00 Dollars a gram. of course there is reduction fee selling at scrap prices.

Anywhere from 20% percent to may be I can steal it! when the market settles it may be worth a lot less then it is now.

May be a new metal detector in your Future.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 03:10:21 am »
Tmbits, if it was found on a beach on Lake Ontario …… then it could be up to 300+ years old. To wit:

French explorers Etienne Brulé and Samuel de Champlain followed the St. Lawrence River into Lake Ontario in 1610 and 1615, respectively.

If as D&B stated, the 750 “mark” is a European gold standard, then you need to determine when that “mark” was first being used and that would establish its maximum age. I would suggest you check with antiquities professionals or dealers in England. The “crest” on the ring may give a clue to its history.

tmbits

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 06:04:17 am »
Holy cow. I'm feeling slightly "a tingle" with all these replies! Thank you everyone for your input. I guess somethng I should do is weigh the darn thing. It's really quite small, it wouldn't fit on my pinky...but it most certainly appears to be a male style ring. I can't envision a sailer being that petite!
Thanks again for your input this is far more than I have gotten anywhere else. I hope I can in turn help someone else here!

Any more ideas on the meaning of the symbols would be great as well.

Thanks again!

Tim

tmbits

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 07:50:03 am »
Okay....so I was at the post office and thought I should use their scale...since it's accurate to the point of breaking wind within 1 metre will cause it to change. The result was a dissapointing 5 grams! So bad news is, the gold won't net much, the good news is, it cost me nothing in the first place.
I think I will jold onto it and search for more histroy regarding the mystery.
I've researched a little about shipwrecks of the area where we found it and was surprised to find out that there indeed WERE several documented as far back as 1818!
They went down very close to shore from storms and running aground (Lake Ontario was very treacherous water apparantly) and that I'm not the only one too have found items along the shore that have washed up from storms stirring the remains, especially since this ring weighs so little it is entirely possible this DID happen.
I've gone from "hey maybe I can get that metal detector!" too "This is just plain fascinating I must know more!"

If anyone has any ideas who I might contact for more info about the symbol or history I would be very greatful.

Thanks so much for everyones input so far.

Tim
The Poor Guy....lol

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 08:51:56 am »
italy had a minimum gold standard of 750. good place to start.

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 09:15:10 am »
Maybe I'm all wet but I don't subscribe that it's a 'male' ring only.  Women's ring are usually much more petite but I'm not sure that was always the case.  It could also be a child's ring.  A youngster could lose such a ring and not notice it when lost...

tmbits

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 09:29:51 am »
Very good point indeed...much like the one on my narrow minded head!!! Thanks for that! Sometimes we need to think a little out of the box!

Tim