Author Topic: black and white octagonal plate with cityscape  (Read 1425 times)

kfan

• View Profile
black and white octagonal plate with cityscape
« on: April 07, 2009, 07:02:14 pm »
I picked up this plate at a small store - it caught my eye. I can find no info about it.  It has 8 sides (not equal). On it is a cityscape/landscape in black. Background of plate is white with black trim - back is also white. 10 1/4" by 7 3/4" No markings at all. Does anyone know anything about it?  I am really curious about it.
Thanks!
Sandy

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: black and white octagonal plate with cityscape
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 08:38:51 pm »
     Without marking it can be a daunting task to find history or age of a item, espically porcelain.  It's history is large and long, and many items are unmarked.   First thing to do is look at the art closely, establish wheater or not it is handpainted.  Look at the edge of the art, through a loupe is better look for little dots.  If it has little dots then it is a decal, hand painted items will help the overall value of a item.   Then look at the art to establish a possible clue to the age.  From my screen it looks rather modern.  Then it also looks to be a tourist souviner plate.  These plate flood the thrift shops and one can easily pick them up for a couple of dollars, even though they may be worth 8 to 10 bucks to someone who likes that art, or has a collection that it would fit into.  Please take what I say with a grain of salt, for without touching, feeling a item without hallmarks really says little.  KC, DB, Cogar or someone else here may know a bit more about it.   I have a few of these kind of items and have a hard time selling them.  I did manage to sell a handpainted plate much like this one for $10.00 on Ebay.  Look close and try and feel for it history, you may have a greater item then I can see here.  Have a great day         

kfan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 08:20:04 am »
No dots - looks to be done by hand. Also looks like black ink of some kind - some of it appears gray or smeared. Appears that the drawing is under a layer of glass.  Only paid a dollar for it - just liked the looks of it. Weighs 2 pounds and five ounces.  These kind of plates/pottery are not my area of knowledge.  Thanks for the reply!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 11:11:16 am »
I believe that it is a current plate and not antique.

It is really hard to make out the details from the picture.  I find it intriguing!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

amiga

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 04:15:40 am »
I think Ironlord gives great advise and should not underestimate his contributions. Well Done