Author Topic: Need Help re: Mitterteich China  (Read 1440 times)

megs14

• View Profile
Need Help re: Mitterteich China
« on: April 13, 2009, 09:15:33 am »
My grandmother has a set of Mitterteich pattern MIT75. She currently has service for six, minus one dinner plate. I am trying to locate the dinner plate for her to complete her set. Does anyone have any insight has to where to look for this piece? I am kind opf a novice when it comes to antiques. I have checked all the standard places, ebay, replacements, etc and no one seems to have anything for this pattern. Any help is GREATLY appreciated! -Megan

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help re: Mitterteich China
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 05:58:21 pm »
Unfortunately....yo u just can't go out and get it.  The hunt is what it is all about.....Hope you find it....just keep searching!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Chris_Marshall

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 10:10:12 pm »
Just my 7 Yen (around 2 cents worth):

First of all you should (for yourself and as info for others when asking) determine WHICH Mitterteich, because there were two factories there: Rieber-Mitterteich and Porzellanfabrik Mitterteich. Both were - and are - confused not only by single people but also by folks that should know better (like replacements.com). Anyway, that would just need a glance at the marks - note however that Rieber also used marks just showing 'Mitterteich'. But as I said, no big deal and with a mark, one can roughly find out a period of production :)

That aside, you use the replacement.com's own pattern designation which in many many cases has nothing to do with the original name or number of a shape/decoration. For example assume the deco name is 'Kirschbluete' ... which you don't know and search like mad for MIT75, an inofficial designation. One is of course right to say that even if it's wrong, it's still something to hang on and all people seen so far used it, yada yada. My point is: don't take the MIT75 as Holy Grail, other people might just use something else. I bet one would not find the replacements.com number used in auctions in Europe, for example. And as eBay lately is the Holy House of Dimwits, many search results from the US don't show all European hits even if explicitly told to. Hence one misses tons of stuff ...

Hope that helps a bit ;)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 11:50:13 pm »
Well said Chris Marshall....Glad to see you back on the site.  Your expertise is well given and received!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 02:42:16 pm »
It's all way's a pleasure for Chris to take time out to lend a helping hand. Thank's Chris.