Author Topic: oriental plates  (Read 4632 times)

syl

• View Profile
oriental plates
« on: April 15, 2009, 07:29:15 pm »
this is one of the most confusing things to research..some have markings some dont and old stuff can be worth alot..so if there are some basic guidelines let me know ..afew pics one plats actually had apaper that said it was 150 years old...

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: oriental plates
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 08:10:04 pm »
     Cool,  Some guide lines from a rookie.   Some items will be hard and some easy , to many just downright a lifetime challange.  I would first start with the easy ones and get them tagged and valued, then the task will not only seem less daunting but each one you discover the knowledge gained is worth three more.    Then the items will be alot based on what they are, i.e.  Silverplate short period of popularity and well recorded and marked.  Silver had a long history but actually was well marked, because of the value.   Then you have porcelain with extreame long history and half the item are unmarked.     With that in mind, look to the clues you have and narrow the search.
 1.  Look at the item from a distance, does it feel old?   Kinda weird but on the path of learning this will help in the long run, you will prove and or disprove why you felt that way and soon the first hurdle.  Is it Antique, Vintage, or just decorative,  This will determine the base of the value for your item.

2.   Is it handpainted or decal,  my memory is not jogging me now but decals have been around for awhile  early 1800??? (help me guys)   ;D but hand painted can mean older, but not alway so.  However it will make the value a bit more, Nothing like having a item that was personnaly in the hands of a Artist, not just done decal applied before glazing.

3.   Try and grab at the Period.  i.e. victorian, Art Novea and etc.  This can be difficult since many items have been redone with the same molds or just the style came back in vogue over the year, but if you can grasp at the first question of Antique vs. Vintage you will have come a long way.

4.   Markings, they may seem the most important sometime but they should be the ice on the cake (MMM mush cake)  ;D, (Sorry bad spelling and bad humor).  I have invested in several cheap books to browse through and the internet is wonderful too, but the first three should be asked first just to lock the knowledge in sort of speak.

5.   Then if that fail and no ground is made you have D.B., K.C., Rall....  (don't remember how to spell)., Cogar and all the rest .  Lol

Anyway back to the plates.  Are they hand Painted? and can't make out the markings?  The base value of plates can easily be established by a price between Replacement and searching Ebay?  Look to items that is only getting bid and make you list ending soonest.  I've written so much blah, blah I've forgotton what they looked like.  Excuse me as I go back and take another look before I sound like a Jr. that I am.   ;D   

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 08:28:45 pm »
They sure look handpainted to me.  But the amount of color and how busy they are would surely rule out anything pre 1800.  Not totally sure about that but the colors do look like the common colors that was used based of the metal or mineral that was used.  Blue Cobalt, Red iron and etc.  If I was to guess I would say they are early 1900 at best and were made for the American trade.  I just need to make out the hallmark and see if I'm right or wrong, cause porcelain is a bit new to me right now, Silverplate I can handle a bit better, style is a bit easier to grab at.  Again please take me with a grain of cobalt   ;D   For I am just a Jr, like the title says, 6 months old is about where I am. 

syl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 09:54:05 pm »
They sure look handpainted to me.  But the amount of color and how busy they are would surely rule out anything pre 1800.  Not totally sure about that but the colors do look like the common colors that was used based of the metal or mineral that was used.  Blue Cobalt, Red iron and etc.  If I was to guess I would say they are early 1900 at best and were made for the American trade.  I just need to make out the hallmark and see if I'm right or wrong, cause porcelain is a bit new to me right now, Silverplate I can handle a bit better, style is a bit easier to grab at.  Again please take me with a grain of cobalt   ;D   For I am just a Jr, like the title says, 6 months old is about where I am. 
hey i just appreciate you taking the time..i will try and get better pics of marks...so you know silver i will start a silver thresd to keep you more busy... ;) ;D

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 10:02:59 pm »
Silver I like Silver   :o    Lol,  Yea but best at the silverplate flatware that is what I collect, but have Porcelain and other vintage stuff.   Lady friend got me hooked a few months ago, then it was this site, and now I'm working of becoming a Antiqueaholic  LOL    ::)    This is Addictive stuff, got me off my World of warcraft habit.  Thanks guy   :-*

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 10:57:50 am »
They look to be japanese. the one dish appears to have coy or carp fish in the bottom. not well defined. the seal mark is also blurred.most likely intended. look to be fairly recent.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 01:36:48 pm »
For some reason, when I seen the 1st picture above, Imari bowl, came to mind.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 02:21:22 pm »
I agree

syl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 03:28:09 pm »
the first ones said imari...150 years old on aliitle tag..can you tell me alittle bit about imari and value? the other two do seem newer maybe 40 years...?

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 03:44:07 pm »
     Imari was a port in japan which made and exported porcelain to other countries.    Also known as Arita.  They started around 1616.  The first pieces were made by koren potters, but some famous japanese artist worked at the kilms.  They were first produced for the Dutch market in 1658 - 1750.   There is lots more information on Imari ware.  I don't remember all the stuff about it, at work now and can't reference it.  I did just read about it in a Kovel's book I have the other week.   I'm just a bit confused as to the style.  I say lots of plates like it on ebay, but the sample in the books really vary, so how can one tell if it is a true Imari?   

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 04:04:42 pm »
    O.K. a bit slow here at work so I figured I would get paid to research  ;D    Any Wikapelia has a really good general information on it.  Here is the link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imari_porcelain

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 04:46:05 pm »
The one with the fish should be the oldest.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 06:16:19 am »
 Lady friend got me hooked a few months ago, then it was this site, and now I'm working of becoming a Antiqueaholic  LOL    ::)    This is Addictive stuff, got me off my World of warcraft habit.  Thanks guy   :-*

You are now infected with Antique Pox which there is no known cure for.