Author Topic: Girlie stuff  (Read 2703 times)

syl

• View Profile
Girlie stuff
« on: April 15, 2009, 10:02:20 pm »
some perfume bottle.. compacts.. and such...

syl

• View Profile
Re: Girlie stuff
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 10:11:30 pm »
more pics

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 10:18:34 pm »
     Wow call me Girlie but I really like the second item,  Look like some kind of powder jar.   Forgive my ignorance, this girlie stuff is really new to me   ;D.  Just wanted to say that item made me cream.   LOL.   Mother of Pearl and embellished with what appears to be brass, and I hope the art on the lid is handpainted.  Just on looks alone I bet you have a big winner here.  Are there any hallmarks? or other way to indentify a maker?   If  I was to place a period just on the looks, I would say mid Victorian 1850's 60's maybe  but this is a guess on style, but many items was remade in the early 1900's as well following the Art Novea period, but not quite a victorian looking.  Either way it looks like a wonderful piece a treasure.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 10:29:17 pm »
     O.k. expert vs. novice, showed it to the lady, she wasn't that impressed.  Thinks it has a plastic insert and is really about 1950's  maybe.   Does it have a plastic insert? or is it glass?.  Is the lid mother of pearl or just the light making it appear that way?   Sorry had to be the girl in for her opinion   ;D

syl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 10:43:43 pm »
the inside is aglass insert divided in 3 sections...it is aheavy piece the top handle seams like a porcelien nob with victorian pic.....not mother of pearl on top..

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 10:56:32 pm »
O.k. She yield   ;D ,  She say some sort of vanity item not powder box, now she is saying late 1800's to early 1900's,  Can't wait to see the response tomorrow by our experts,  East coast they are probably in bed   ;D.   Come on guys wake up and help me here, before I sink in my ignorance   ::).  No matter what I like that piece, it would be wonderful for my coins  :D         

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 11:44:34 pm »
1930 - 1940....very desirable.  Ballpark value of $45 - 60 for 3 section metal/glass vanity holder in excellent condition!  (Are there any markings on the underside?)

Same time range for the 4 bottles in metal with Athenian woman.  If in pristine condition, could bring $90+  (Are there any markings on the underside?)

Each perfume bottle is worth something...dependi ng on each one!!!!

All of these items are "in" and increasing in popularity.....inte restingly enough....when the economy is bad there are several things that do well.....alcohol, tobacco, jewelry and girlie things!!!!!!

The 3 pieces (first pic) looks "new" and is worth something...but not like the older items!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

syl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 03:31:53 pm »
one of those perfume bottle is a Hattie carnegie....i found one for $99 on ebay...havent been able to find the others yet...:)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 03:45:23 pm »
     Which one is the Hattie?  just curious   ;D

syl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 05:51:46 pm »
the one on the left is hattie...and she may have been ahottie;)

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 06:36:00 am »
when the economy is bad there are several things that do well.....alcohol, tobacco, jewelry and girlie things!!!!!!

You got that right KC.

I once purchased an Imperial red-slag vase, “Dancing Nudes”. Paid bout $25 for it and sold it for bout $45, which I later regretted. About 7+ years later the person I sold it to was getting rid of things and it cost me $90 to get it back. Maybe I’ll post a picture of it.