Author Topic: What is this?  (Read 3344 times)

bigbocephus

• View Profile
What is this?
« on: April 18, 2009, 07:53:38 pm »
My mother found this item years ago in an hold house in New Jersey. It could be an old baby toy or some special noise maker. The back has an engraving that says O.A. WHEELERS PATENT 1891.
If anyone has any idea what this is or its value I would appreciate the help.

Regards,
JAmes

bigbocephus@gmail.com

http://s723.photobucket.com/albums/ww236/bigbocephus/

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: What is this?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 10:54:37 pm »
     This appears to be percussion instrument to me.  Not familiar with it if it is, but have played many percussion instruments.  I am a bit curious about two things.

1.  Is the striker item in the center, free.  As if when it is shaken does it freely strike the wood?

2.  What is the striker made of?  looks like a rock from the pics.

bigbocephus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 11:18:18 pm »
Ironlord,
   The striker is on both sides of the instrument. It appears to be made of some sort of stone type material.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 11:45:14 pm »
In 1891 Flamenco was very popular with the clacking sounds from castinettes.  In addition, the clacking sound was a very popular sound in many countries.  I imagine if you twist your wrist rapidly back and forth with this it would give much the same sound.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 12:28:30 am »
     I did search a bit on the name under percussion instruments to no avail.  I'm almost sure it to be a percussion instrument, with a old patent on it.  My assumption is it was made by a small start up instrument company that did not really make it, to the big time.  Just because it has a patent date usually means little to the actual date.  However I feel there is a good chance it could be close.  To a collector or a active percussion player I would bet they would easily pay $50.00.  That would just be a best guess, based on percussion instrument prices and rareity of this item.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 10:53:36 am »
Every body was doing so well. I was going to give it break. it's called a Clapper.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 11:50:08 am »
      What a rookie I am sometimes   ;D.   Even played percussion for years  :-\.    ;D    Actually had a couple of clappers but did not look like this.  Clappers is a broad class of instrument, based upon most folk genre music.  Everyone had a form of clapper.   This appears to be a bit different because it looks like it can be shaked or hit for different effects.  Still a bit curious on the striker in the center.   Anyway with a patent made in the late 1800's would sure to say some American put out a patent on his style of "Clapper"  Tried to get info on the manufacter to no avail, just wandering if someone placed a patent for their style and then nothing else.  O.k. just rambling, maybe I'll go check early percussionist cross reference the name.   I'll be back   ::)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 12:02:12 pm »
Well nothing in the musicians, percussionist area.  However I looked at inventors at the time and came up with Seth Wheeler, the man who invernted toliet paper   ;D , maybe he designed a clapper for the .....   ::)  Bad humor sorry.  Anyway sorry can't be of any more help, just would live to mess with you clapper   ;D.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 01:01:54 pm »
 :D Iron Lord that tid bit of info was gleaned from a book titled a history of musical instruments. proir to the advent of the computer.Dealers collectors etc. were on there own. either hit the library or build your own.

Dealers spend years Gleaning info. and are rarely willing to part with hard earned info. we are willing to share. my father was a dealer for many years.

He refused to cheat any one.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 06:37:46 pm »
Ironlord, I have my kids come and read your posts for amusement!  We all just crack up at you (the best yet was about the Elise the Cow). 

Concussion idiophones are castanets, bones, clappers, and claves: two or more complementary sonorous pans are struck against each other" 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 07:01:41 pm »
:D Iron Lord that tid bit of info was gleaned from a book titled a history of musical instruments. proir to the advent of the computer.Dealers collectors etc. were on there own. either hit the library or build your own.

Dealers spend years Gleaning info. and are rarely willing to part with hard earned info. we are willing to share. my father was a dealer for many years.

He refused to cheat any one..

I would have to admit I was a bit lost with this one.  Not sure if I offended you DB or something.   Kinda felt the poke of a master to the rookie.   Not sure about the life before the computer commit.  That was centuries ago and memory sometimes fails me.  I have been building a libary and making my own both.   As for giving information out I always freely offer any info that I may have and I would not cheat someone either.   Just let me know what I did and maybe I can find my way back on the path   ;D

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 07:22:11 am »
No harm done Iron lord. just and old man rambling about a past time. oddly enough antique Dealers as a rule are still tight lipped.

It just happens to be we are the friendliest Blog on the web.