Author Topic: Reverse painted bevelled glass  (Read 5013 times)

KathyK

• View Profile
Reverse painted bevelled glass
« on: April 22, 2009, 09:54:55 am »
I have two reversed painted bevelled glass paintings and cannot find anything equivalent on the net to find out their value.  They have some mother of pearl in the paintings and they look like English country cottage scenes.  One is on a lake and one is on a river with a bridge.  They are beautiful.  If someone could help me out that would be great.  I cannot find an artist's name anywhere either.

railman44

• View Profile
Re: Reverse painted bevelled glass
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 10:39:14 am »
Pictures would be a great help.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 11:04:27 am »
Pic would help!  I know that reverse painted glass was really in during the 70's and actually tried my hand at it...did pretty good....but would never be a "master" painter!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 12:22:35 pm »
reverse painting's have been around along time. your's indicate possible victorian. but on the average, they sell in the $100.00 Dollar range.

But there are exceptions.some can reach a $ 1,000.00 +

KathyK

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 01:41:32 pm »
I am trying to attach photos, not sure if it will work, but here goes.  My grand parents had these as long as I can remember so I would think that they are quite old.[/img]

Thanks for all the responses, hope the pictures help.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 01:56:36 pm »
They are nice & victorian. the frame's are grain painted. $250.00 Dollars per picture.

KathyK

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 02:02:50 pm »
Thank you, you have been a big help.  We needed to have an idea for value for insurance purposes. 

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 02:27:04 pm »
For insurance purpose's. $350.00 Dollars per picture.

KathyK

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 02:36:10 pm »
Thanks.  I have another little silver thing I have to figure out what it is, just so I know, but it is packed now and will have to wait until I move and unpack before I can do anything.  Not even sure how I am going to research it, but will worry about that later.  Thanks again for all your help.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 03:09:58 pm »
OOOOOH, nice pictures. Round frames and oval glass is good ..... even if there is no picture with them.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 03:36:41 pm »
Cogar your right they are nice. as you know Grain painting was done to inhance a rather boreing frame. usually to hide and inferior wood.

To make the frames appear to be walnut Mahogany etc.   it's apparent they have been taken care of. as they should be.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 06:07:09 pm »
Wow...gorgeous!  Definitely keepers! 

D&b - thanks for waking up the old brains cells and reminding of the grain painted frames.  Remember my grandparents had a few with the oval convex glass in it!

When you find the silver thingy.....post it on here with pics.  We just love the "guess what this is" items!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

KathyK

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 06:08:53 pm »
Will post the pics of the silver thingy in a couple months.  I am glad I found this site, its been great fun already.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 03:36:03 am »
I use to buy old picture frames like the Google image below, that were in disrepair with cracks and broken off or missing pieces of plaster decoration. I would give them a good “stiff” brushing off, then mix up a batch of Plaster of Paris and “gob it” onto the broken area and with a stiff artist’s brush, finger, whatever, … recreate the design as best I could. Then I would use a good quality “gold” spray paint to repaint the entire frame. The designs on the frames are most always so “busy” (varied & different) that the “fix” doesn’t have to be perfect and one has to look really close to see where the repairs were made.

I offer this info for anyone who has such an old dilapidated frame. Don’t throw it away. Recondition it and I’m sure you will be pleased with the results. Now I use to cut my own glass “to fit” the frame if the original was broken or missing but I suggest you purchase it from a local retailer.