Author Topic: Identification of an old chair  (Read 3775 times)

oldchair

• View Profile
Identification of an old chair
« on: April 23, 2009, 05:45:56 pm »
I'm hoping someone can help me out. I purchased two old bent oak chairs. They have a caned seat and back. I was told they are spring back chairs because there are two vertical coil springs, one on each side that attach the seat to the frame. When you sit in the chair, you can lean back in it and the seat/back will tilt backwards.
There is a paper label affixed to the underside of the frame that states:
D.E. Teals Patent
May 5, 1863
Manufactured By
(can't read name) Brothers & Co
(Can't read city name) Mass

Can anyone identify these chairs and tell me who made them and who Teal is?
Thanks
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 07:48:22 pm by oldchair »

railman44

• View Profile
Re: Identification of an old chair
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 06:36:41 pm »
Pictures?

oldchair

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 07:48:57 pm »
Photos added

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 04:45:12 am »
First time I ever seen one of those. The "platform rockers" with the springs on the support brace that rests on the floor are quite common.

See: http://www.laurelauction.com/0407afso2%20Platform%20Rocker.JPG

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 07:52:18 am »
First time I've ever seen one.  I think it's a commercial chair but that's just a guess.  Without air conditioning eons ago, all that caining would provide some comfort in a factory setting during the hot months.  The springs would also provide comfort in a tedious factory 'sit-down' job too.  If I'm right, the vast majority were probably used until they wore out.  I'm sure the caining was the first to go.  Being cained, I'm sure they didn't sell many.  Not fancy enough for most home settings during the Victorian and Late Victorian periods.  It will be interesting to see if anyone knows the story on these... ???

oldchair

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 10:32:55 am »
I was just provided with the patent information. # 38428 assigned to Heywood Brothers. There is some great information there. I will need to research the early days of Heywood Brothers now. Are there old catalogs available for viewing?
Thanks

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 11:37:55 am »
there are no available catalogs on line that I'am a ware of. Cyrus wakefield started a rattan co in 1855. it didnt become Haywood wakefield bro's to 1897.

Due to the fact. that they are Heywood's they are very Desireable.

oldchair

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 06:57:55 am »
How would I find a value for these chairs? The one pictured has some minor repairs, the other none that I can see. Both seat bottoms are recaned. The varnish looks original, it has that crazed/cracked appearance. I appreciate everones help and thoughts.

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 07:51:31 am »
One way of finding a value to my way of thinking is to place the item on eBay with an absurdly high reserve.  Carefully worded descriptions and very good photographs will be seen by millions worldwide.  The trick here is to include the right key words in the title so people will find your item.  Run it as long as you can.  Sure it will cost some money but appraisers don't work for free either.  An appraisal is an educated guess while eBay tells you what someone is actually willing to pay.  :o

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 08:10:53 am »
I have to agree with Railman. the chairs are worth about $ 350.00 Dollars per chair. the fact there Haywood Wakefield's conjures up some ridiculous prices. and there are collectors out there willing to pay High prices.

Auctions prices as a rule. don't support ridiculos prices. but one can never be sure it's worth a try.

mrsjrichard1980

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 06:11:41 pm »
Being from the South, I'm quite familiar with these types of chairs (It hasn't been so long ago when many people down here didn't have air, a chair like that came in handy).  I'd say with the right person, right bidding environment, you could even get $425 for them at an auction. (Exciting to see things like this be bid on furiously!)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 03:21:30 pm »
Had someone who has been caning and instructing for years to look at the pics - here is their reply:

KC,
It does have some similarities to several styles of chairs.
My first glance at the first picture from below looking up, I thought that it was a Captains chair. And in fact I have seen maybe a couple chairs with springs like this.
Then the second picture from the front-top, it has some Bentwood similarities.
So, I would guess that it is a Bentwood Captains chair.  It might have come from a set of chairs, perhaps used in a fraternal organization like an Elks, Moose Lodge, or Mason's etc.  Because of the higher back, it would probably be the speaker's chair, or from an executive of an old professional office, like an accountant or lawyer.
It is a beautiful piece. A real work of art with the cane in it (& quite a challenge to get the corners of the back caned right).
Take good care of it. Enjoy & treasure your wonderful find.

Wayne Sharp
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!