Author Topic: Teapot depicting historical scene  (Read 3078 times)

mrsjrichard1980

• View Profile
Teapot depicting historical scene
« on: April 26, 2009, 12:21:52 pm »
Hi all! Nice to be here, to learn from others and lend a helping hand.

I came across an interesting teapot while at an antique's flea market visiting my in-laws in Maine.  The teapot depicts a group of men entering a home, showing a hearth/fireplace, one man being stabbed, and banshees chasing a man fleeing on horseback. The teapot is textured, that is to say, the sculpting/depiction is not flat.  On the bottom is stamped "J Foss 5-22-72". Below are some photos, I'd love any help  you guys can give.  ;D

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Teapot depicting historical scene
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 12:54:23 pm »
     My first impression was the stamp is a date code.  Which makes it either 1872, which would make it a antique, or 1972, the later I was leaning towards.  I did look around in my books and surfed a bit, and did find a small blurb on a J. Foss but the date was early 1900's, and not much, or enough to make a discission on the date.  Just a first glance it does not look old enough for 1872.  Without hallmarks, and just a signature to go on the wall is thick and tall.  It does appear to be what is called Flow blue, but that would help little in your search.  My conclusion is you have a vintage at best piece that value would be low.  The others may have a better knowlege and books to help reference it.

mrsjrichard1980

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 02:28:55 pm »
     My first impression was the stamp is a date code.  Which makes it either 1872, which would make it a antique, or 1972, the later I was leaning towards.  I did look around in my books and surfed a bit, and did find a small blurb on a J. Foss but the date was early 1900's, and not much, or enough to make a discission on the date.  Just a first glance it does not look old enough for 1872.  Without hallmarks, and just a signature to go on the wall is thick and tall.  It does appear to be what is called Flow blue, but that would help little in your search.  My conclusion is you have a vintage at best piece that value would be low.  The others may have a better knowlege and books to help reference it.

Thank you very much, that is more than I found.  :)
Any guesses as to what is being depicted on the teapot?  I have some guesses, and will throw them out, at the risk of seeming ignorant with my second post.  ;D

(1) Paul Revere's Midnight Ride
(2) Teaparty related (it looks in one place that a crate is being over-turned
(3) Related to house raids linked to witch trials?

It really is a pretty, unique piece. I have little intention of selling it but am curious to find out all I can.

Thanks, I'll research what you posted and learn more :)

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 03:19:00 pm »
My first impression was it was European in origin.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 05:58:50 pm »
If it was 1872 there should be some wear "marks/scratches" on the bottom of it.

Utility vessels were slid around on the table, shelf a lot.

But the way the date is written, 5-22-72, makes me think it was made in a Ceramics/Pottery Class in 1972.

mrsjrichard1980

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 06:09:46 pm »
TY, until posting here, I never thought of 1872 and am still inclined toward 1972. Boy, wish the work I attempted in the one pottery class I took looked anything near this! It's something of whimsy and value to me bc I think it's beautiful. But I'd love to know the story behind the person who made it. My husband also said someone in pottery class or some small-scale way to make pottery at home. :D

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 03:28:46 am »
My 1st ex-wife talked me into taking an evening pottery class. The instructor had dozens of molds from which she made the “greenware” and one would select a piece of “greenware”, paint it however they wanted to, apply the glazing and the instructor would then “fire it”. I chose a “beer stein” with an intricate pattern all over the outer surface. My 1st and only attempt at said was OK, but nothing to brag about.  ;D And of course, I "scratched" my name & the date on the bottom of it before it was glazed and "fired".

mrsjrichard1980

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 11:23:09 am »
My 1st ex-wife talked me into taking an evening pottery class. The instructor had dozens of molds from which she made the “greenware” and one would select a piece of “greenware”, paint it however they wanted to, apply the glazing and the instructor would then “fire it”. I chose a “beer stein” with an intricate pattern all over the outer surface. My 1st and only attempt at said was OK, but nothing to brag about.  ;D And of course, I "scratched" my name & the date on the bottom of it before it was glazed and "fired".

LOL TY!  I only paid $5 for it and it looks great on my counter :D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 12:39:17 pm »
I do believe the numbers are dates and J Foss was the artist!

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mrsjrichard1980

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 11:02:35 pm »
I do believe the numbers are dates and J Foss was the artist!

:D ;D