Author Topic: Ebay Pricing Strategies  (Read 4093 times)

mrsjrichard1980

• View Profile
Ebay Pricing Strategies
« on: April 26, 2009, 09:13:13 pm »
What have you found to be most effective with starting prices on Ebay?

Do you start at bargain basement, .99?

Do you start at what you paid for an item? (ie: $8.99 for an item worth $250)

Do you start at a price that's between what you paid and the item's worth? (say, $25 for an item you paid $8.99 for, valued at $250).

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Ebay Pricing Strategies
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 09:49:22 pm »
    To Price on Ebay can be a science in itself.  I have tried a few different ideals and have been moderate at best in my results.   My basic way now is I will post it the first time as close to the value as possible, then take a couple bucks off.  For example, get lucky find a item for 3 dollars, I think is worth 10, will look around to verify the value.  O.k. now it would seem they are worth 12 bucks, cool.  Now the first post will be 10 bucks,(9.99) save a little on the fee.  If it don't sell then the second time I will repost for 50% off.  $5.00.  If it sells then I still make a buck after fees, but If it does sell the first time I make a bit of profit.  Now step back and see the whole picture.  It is not so much the profit of a piece, but the profit of many pieces, you must try and win more then you lose, and when you lose make it so you have a least made a buck.  There is so much in selling on Ebay, but most important is Timing. 

They true value of any item is what 2 people are willing to pay, you need to find the price that will bring in 2 not just one bid.

mrsjrichard1980

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 11:04:31 pm »
Very true and I haven't found a magic key to pricing either. Most times I end up surprised, what I thought would sell for a good amount, doesn't or doesn't sell at all. What I thought would go for a few bucks, goes near or past the $100 mark.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 09:07:43 pm »
       Pricing can be a fun one, just remember to first set your price above what was paid, and the worse thing can happen is you have another cool item for yourself.  Of course I should post pictures of my shelves they are overflowing with unsold stuff, because I won't drop my price below what I paid, and let me tell you I have got some items that have taught me alot about this game, mostly what not to buy  ;D,  But I just put in a box later and wait a few thousand year and if nothing else it would be worth a lot then  ;D,  I will be rich $$$$$$.   ::).   
      I did develop a really cool price guide for my flatware, but If I tell you, then the others will really think I have the major case of Brain Pain.  If you want to know I may help but if is complex need a spreadsheet for it but Works well at least with flatware, thinking about adding to it for halloware and porcelain but me little brain has been worn down a bit just making that one   ;D 

ayashe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 10:17:33 pm »
My husband and I are certain that starting bidding at 99c is a winning strategy. For one thing, it catches bargain hunters' eyes because it's so cheap. Even someone not so interested in something will watch the item usually, just because it might be bargain. Before and after my husband has sold something (starting at .99), he'll watch several similar auctions end and 95% of the time they sell for more if they've started at 99c. Sometimes there is a similar item listed at the same time with a Buy It Now at, say $100, and my hubby's item will be bidding at $150 or so and finish higher, even though a buyer could buy the similar item for less. Of course, there is always the risk of not getting what you think your item deserves which is a nail biting experience!   ;D

Irishguy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 05:35:39 pm »
I generally go with 99cent option, seems to attract more watchers and buyers anyway!

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 05:18:41 pm »
I always start at $5 even. I think it is cheap enough that collectors aren't afraid to bid, but not so cheap that people think it is some cheap repro imported from China :) Especially if I'm selling a valuable Chinese piece, there are sooo many 99c auctions from Chinese sellers that $5 just makes it a bit more original. As far as getting more than I paid... sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't. I've gotten pieces of porcelain that are at $180 with 7 days left and valuable silver that is a fifth of what I payed. Just luck, luck and timing.