Author Topic: vatican madonna and child mosaic  (Read 3553 times)

syl

• View Profile
vatican madonna and child mosaic
« on: April 26, 2009, 10:18:58 pm »
size is about 4x5 in excellent condition. mounted in heavy piece of stone. front and back pics below. Has anyone seen anything like this and have the best way to sell???thanks

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: vatican madonna and child mosaic
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 10:42:47 pm »
     You sure come up with some really cool stuff.  Most are out of my league, to make any conclusive information.  I did find lots of info on Sudio Del Mosaico.  And from the look of that paper label this has some age.  Personnally  this kind of stuff is not E-bay stuff, you need to get ahold of all you local dealers and try and turn your stuff their or maybe consignment.  Most of your items has been stuff you see at the Auctions, real Auctions that is.  If you have a local Auction house they may be intrested in working with this stuff.  Again just wanted to say you have some really cool stuff, make me drool   :P

syl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 12:06:20 am »
i always enjoy your replies....make me smile...this was all my moms stuff so it has been very difficult ..thanks for the smile!

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 12:06:59 am »
Yes, so far you have some real quality items.  I can't answer why but, religious items are a little harder to sell for what they're really worth.  Of course, if you find two qualified serious bidders, generalizations are thrown out the window.  If you're serious regarding selling your paintings, etc. I would suggest an 'important' auction such as Southby's or Christie's.  They're an expensive service but they garner the very heavy hitters worldwide.  My .02 pesos...

syl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 12:12:51 am »
Yes, so far you have some real quality items.  I can't answer why but, religious items are a little harder to sell for what they're really worth.  Of course, if you find two qualified serious bidders, generalizations are thrown out the window.  If you're serious regarding selling your paintings, etc. I would suggest an 'important' auction such as Southby's or Christie's.  They're an expensive service but they garner the very heavy hitters worldwide.  My .02 pesos...
thanks that is what we may do....especially with the religious things....i really appreciate all the input here...!

mrsjrichard1980

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 11:32:58 am »
size is about 4x5 in excellent condition. mounted in heavy piece of stone. front and back pics below. Has anyone seen anything like this and have the best way to sell???thanks

Funny you mention this, yes, last night I came across one on Ebay. This one must be very special, if the price is any indication http://cgi.ebay.com/Mosaic-Madonna-and-Child-Vatican-Mosaic-School_W0QQitemZ120409809218QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item120409809218&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1309%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

But here are some links to other religious mosaic pieces on Ebay:
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=religious+mosaic

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 11:51:06 am »
     Nice find, Is it the same? or so much for one of a kind.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 12:43:54 pm »
Recommend you contact a reputable art dealer or local art museum for the name of one.  For an item that could have the potential of $$$ value - you will have to have this done and not rely solely on us at A-S.com.

Beautiful piece.  Any background on it's history?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mrsjrichard1980

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 11:01:41 pm »

I believe it's so much for one of kind and the artist too and the mastery of construction. The reserve is set for $24k which just drops my jaw!

syl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 11:38:18 pm »

I believe it's so much for one of kind and the artist too and the mastery of construction. The reserve is set for $24k which just drops my jaw!
what would the reserve be???how do i know if mine is areseve??thanks!

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 02:30:26 am »
A 'reserve' on eBay is the minimum the owner will sell their merchandise.  When someone lists an item on eBay, they're offered the 'reserve' option.  It's basically meant to salve the owner's fear his/her item may sell for fraction of the true (or what they consider) the true worth or value.  The 'reserve' is solely set by the owner and may NOT represent the true minimum value.  This is why you should have your items professionally appraised by several repudible appraisers.  A word of caution, always ask what an appraisal will cost you.  It will cost bucks to do so but many times peace of mind is worth the expenditure.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 03:38:51 pm »
Excellent explanation railman44 and advice!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!