Author Topic: UNKNOWN ????  (Read 2168 times)

Randell15501

• View Profile
UNKNOWN ????
« on: April 30, 2009, 05:04:50 pm »
It has measurements in grammes a little valve and is definetly hand blown glass any ideas ??

mrsjrichard1980

• View Profile
Re: UNKNOWN ????
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 05:49:02 pm »
It has measurements in grammes a little valve and is definetly hand blown glass any ideas ??

Stab in the dark, an old-time vaporizer, for people with breathing problems?

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 07:27:02 pm »
This is some sort of labatory science glass item, not sure of it exact purpose might check out some site that works with lab glass,  lab glass comes in hundreds of different sizes and shapes for various purposes, some are very specfic, others are common.  At least this is what I see here.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 10:31:29 am »
Sure looks like lab glassware to me!  This one appears to have the open mouth so that you can syringe out samples of the "processed" concoction! Resembles a Schlenk flask ( a glass reaction vessel that was invented by Wilhelm Schlenk. It has a sidearm fitted with a stopcock that allows the vessel to be filled with gases or evacuated. The flask is used for air-sensitive reactions.)  Dont think it is a schlenk....but looks similar!

A vaporizer would need a large bottom area for heating....and a place to put the heat source.

Even toyed with the idea of a glass inhaler...but none of the vintage or antique inhalers even resemble this.

But don't give up...keep searching!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 10:55:21 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 11:13:23 am »
I would say a lab instrament.  It would seem to me the bulge was meant to gather gas emitted from two chemicals mixed from two different sources then forced into some other container or apparatis.  Just a guess ???

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 02:32:59 pm »
My guess is that it is a Hydrogen (gas) generator .
Acid would first be filled into the section with the petcock , vessel would be flushed & dried , then solids introduced into the reaction chamber .
Twist the valve a little & viola! - hydrogen gas ...

Also could be used for various gas - generation experiments other than just H .

Nice piece of labware .

Randell15501

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 11:10:34 am »
Any value ?