Author Topic: Ladies German Silver Wristlet Calling Card/Coin/Powder holder  (Read 9512 times)

elipsistcu

• View Profile
I bought this in Rehoboth Beach, DE last month.  In all my years of antiquing I had never come across a piece like this.  I talked to a shop owner in Annapolis, MD about it and he brought out a similar case from the naval Academy (circa WWII), but it did not have the calling card or coin slots.  It's function appeared to be totally different.  I have done Google as well as eBay searches and only yielded one case that was even remotely similar.  It was plain, had coin holders and two compartments but no calling card side with hinge.  Please help, I would love to know more about this piece!  The stamp says "GER.SILVER" and below is a circular shaped stamp and inside says WHSCO (I think) I have more pis, I can only post 2 on here.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Ladies German Silver Wristlet Calling Card/Coin/Powder holder
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 10:31:01 pm »
  I did look around a bit and did find many items from WHSco  Found little information on the company but I will keep looking a bit.  I did find another on almost like your.  I think it is sterling,  If it is marked Ger Silver most likely yours is 800, not sterling but better then plate.  Again I am looking around a bit but thought you would like to have the link.

http://www.icollector.com/item.aspx?i=5261835

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 11:04:54 pm »
I found another link you may be intrested in and a small quote for a post of Ruby Lane.

Quote for post on Ruby Lane

W. H. Saart Company, Saart Brothers Company: 'W. H. Saart Company was founded by William H. Saart in 1905 in Attleboro, Massachusetts. His brothers joined him in business a few years later and the firm was renamed Saart Bros. Company. They manufactured sterling silver dresser sets, baby items, and other hollowware". - I finally found the reference to this Co on: The Online Encyclopedia of American Silver Marks. I could only find one other item on the internet with this signature - It is a purse which is listed right here on Ruby Lane. I must believe that - WHS Co. jewelry items are scarce, and wonderful collectors pieces.

http://bestofthewestauctions.com/dynapage/IP4541.htm

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 07:30:10 am »
German silver is Generic for Silver plate.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 07:43:32 am »
Just a foot note. all of these word's are commonly used for plate silver.German silver Alaska silver Craig silver Nevada silver Argentine silver inlaid silver. is all plated.

elipsistcu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 08:25:05 am »
Wow.  Thank you both so much.  I am not a dealer, I just love ladies vintage items.  Does anyone have any idea how I could date this piece or even get a ballpark idea?  The Co was founded in 1905, does anyone know when the company was disbanded/bought out?

Chris_Marshall

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 08:27:45 am »
D&B Antiques: Just a foot note. all of these word's are commonly used for plate silver.

Not to forget Sheffield silver. Especially when looking on US ebay (of all places) many sellers 'forget' the term 'plated' in their descriptions; as porcelain nerd I only know because that freaky Sheffield in South Yorkshire is my birthplace. And no, I didn't move to where I am now because I liked the porcelain, LOL!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 08:31:12 am »
Thank's chris. could'nt do with out you!

elipsistcu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 08:35:05 am »
So if his bros joined him a few years after he started the company WHS Co and it was then renamed SB Co then I have one of the first pieces.   Very cool!  I will post the stamp b/c it does not look like the one on the silver marks website.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 08:57:51 am »
    Yea a little stumble on my part last night.  However wasn't German Silver the name for the metal made of Copper Alloys and sometimes Zinc, that was used as a base metal in plating.  Actually called Nickle Silver?, which actually contains no silver? or when marked german silver is it just plated nickle silver?

As for the age of the piece I would just be guessing, these items have been popular from Late Victorian to even today, maybe a closer look into the hallmark may get some answers.  When looking around the hallmark that you have is all I could find also.  Not sure if they ever used other hallmarks.  But if Ruby lane had a hard time find info on this company, I'm sure I will yield little better.  Like always I love to guess anyway and I would place your item in the 1930's or 40's, Not sure it has the flair of Victorian or the Art Curves of the Art Noveau period, but the fancy the simpliticy to the 30's and 40's it does have.   

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2009, 09:13:35 am »
for the lady's, it would have been attached to a device called a Chatelaine for the gent's and Albert. calling card's were looseing interest as early as 1910. that's late Victorian. some prefer to say the ewardian period.
Never the less it's nice and excellent condition.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2009, 09:26:11 am »
Learn and get a bit of culture  you guy rock   ;D.  Good point, so if they calling cards went out in late Victorian times A.K.A ewardian period, it would then place the item in late 1800's. or mid Victorian  ;D  A.K.A. (fill in answer here)  ;).  And no I didn't know about what a Chatelaine was, but do now   ::).

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2009, 09:56:09 am »
Iron lord I was'nt trying to flame your post. and open apology I'am giveing you. we injoy your Humor. & your willingness to learn. I think we can all say we injoy' your company.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2009, 11:06:33 am »
That o.k. my post is iron, not much a flame will do to it.  :P, beside I fill a bit closer to culture because of it and the lady will be so impressed when I express that new knowledge the her.  Sounds Win Win to me  ;D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2009, 11:39:39 pm »
This was a great post!  Have seen a few like this over the years...but very few.

They are definitely collectibles of a past era....a piece of history that few remember or know of.

Fun to earn isn't it Ironlord?! 

We all get into this for some reason or another and end up learning a heck-of-a-lot more here that sticks with us than we did in grade school!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!