Author Topic: Help in the value of a Gebrüder Benedikt trio tea set  (Read 4678 times)

sparklyblue

• View Profile
Help in the value of a Gebrüder Benedikt trio tea set
« on: May 03, 2009, 07:22:43 am »
Hello everyone,

I am new to this ::) so please excuse me if I muck up with my posting.
I have however made sure i have included a photo, Hope it comes out OK.

If anyone out there can possibly help me in the value of this trio set I have, I would be very grateful.
It took me ages :-\ to finally track down what the markings on the bases meant, and I have finally after over a year found out it is made by Gebruder Benedikt.
The set is new and un chipped, scratched, marked or cracked.

I just don't have any idea ??? what so ever as to what it may be worth.

Thanking everyone in advance for their thoughts, comments & help.

Regards Sparklyblue in Australia

Chris_Marshall

Re: Help in the value of a Gebrüder Benedikt trio tea set
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 09:25:19 am »
Hi ... history time! :)

Your items were not made by the Gebrueder Benedikt (*run*). The company was founded 1883 as "Porzellanfabrik Meierhoefen, Gebrueder Benedikt" and remained as such until they took over the factory of the Gebrueder Moser in 1917. That resulted in the rename to "Vereinigte Porzellanfabrik Meierhoefen, Gebrueder Benedikt"; however the company was assimilated into the EPIAG group in 1932.

In 1945/1946 the EPIAG reformed under Starorolskı Porcelán and in 1958 finally dissolved into the Thun Karlovarskı Porcelán where the trademark rights remained until 1992 when Thun in flow of the reprivatization movement dropped various trademarks/names. The new-founded 'Benedikt' in the end went bankrupt and it took until 2002 before the standalone company was refounded the "G. Benedikt Karlovy Vary" (in the "Keramik Holding AG Laufen" together with former bankrupt 'Langenthal' and 'Lilien Austria').

And the mark shown on your items is one of the last three marks used between 1945 and 1958; hence it was from period when the name 'Benedikt ' was non-existent.

I know that many people call these items 'Benedikt' because they don't know what they are talking about or simply believe the former trademark (the stylized and superimposed 'G' and 'B') indicate or are proof of 'Gebrueder Benedikt' manufacture. However you would agree that you would definately prefer the name "Coca-Cola Company" today instead of using the incorrect original first name of "John Stith Pemberton", wouldn't you? The same goes with people looking for such items like yours: Benedikt items are pre-1932, everything else is EPIAG, Starorolsky or Thun.

Sorry for getting on your nerves,

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 09:36:43 am »
Chris you rock.

I didn't want to touch this one when I saw you floating around the site.  I knew what ever I said would be wrong and boring.  I was having trouble with the hallmark and the name wasn't adding up in my books either.  Thanks that is very usuful info.

I would like to say though, (feel free to stomp if wrong) A good cup set will cost you about $20.00 for this era if it has a great design.  This one has a great design, as a matter of fact it has a unique design. $25.00 to $30.00.  Also it has a story i'm sure the images looks to have a children story involved, this will get you a bit more, It also is geared toward children.  You have many collectors in line already but then I read once how Czech adds more to the  value, more because It not English and mean unique or rare (which is not the case).  I feel this would be a easy $40.00 cup set Ebay, $50.00 to $60.00  raw value.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 10:03:50 am »
I agree with that Iron lord. we are very blessed to have Chris stop in and '' Straighten us out" on german trademark's again a big    Thank You Chris !

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 11:33:29 pm »
Chris thanks for gracing this site again!

I would like to say that they would get $40....but wouldn't go to the bank on it.  $25 - 30 is more realistic.  Good input tho Ironlord...you are coming a long way!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

sparklyblue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 06:21:08 am »
Thank you to all you wonderful clever people out there :),
And no, no one of you got on my nerves ;), I am extremely grateful to have found a forum where I can chat and ask questions from people who have allot more knowledge in areas I have not.

So a big big thank you to you all :-*, and If it is OK in the future to run the odd question past you all in regards to what something is or what it maybe worth? I would appreciate your help.

For now in Australia
Regards Sparklyblue :-*
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 06:23:57 am by sparklyblue »