Author Topic: Leather Portfolio  (Read 1947 times)

KimberlyNoel60

• View Profile
Leather Portfolio
« on: May 04, 2009, 11:50:38 pm »
Hello!
I got this from my Grandma and neither of us know what it is or where it came from. I have searched online for a long time and can't find anything even similar. Unfortunately there are no markings on it to help me solve the mystery! Its made of leather and is green cloth inside. If anybody has any idea what it could be, I would be very excited!
Thanks so much!

cogar

• View Profile
Re: Leather Portfolio
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 03:23:23 am »
It looks to me to be a really fancy Writing Pad Folder.

One uses these for carrying a writing pad and/or letter size documents so as to keep them neat, clean, orderly and unruffled ...... and the folder provides a stable surface for writing on. For new ones, see the following url.

http://www.pledesigns.com/store-products/product-679/leather-notepad-holder-writing-pad-folder.html

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 09:01:04 am »
look's to be a hand tooled leather Bible cover.

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 10:37:34 am »
It appears religious in nature.  Quite possibily used for hand crafted sermins or individual church music/singing.  Just a guess.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 11:15:16 am »
This appears to be a leather book cover used to protect a book.  The binding  cord (inside bottom of cover) was brought up and through the middle pages of the book to help hold it in place and keep the book from slipping down while being read.  Cannot determine the age of this, but it is a beautiful piece - well used as seen from the wear - mostly likely a religious person due to the picture tooled on the cover.

Some hisotry:  Up until the early 19C books were not bound.  Publishers would sell the pages independently and the purchaser would have to pay for a binding  (if not bound they would simply sit in a box and be read page by page).  The bindings were usually undecorated and weak, so independent book/dust covers were used to protect the book as well as add a decorative flair.  These were commonly made out of leather, vellum, linen, animal fur and other materials.  Paper dust jackets were being made more commonly in the later 19C but they were so easily torn when a book was opened that they were discarded like wrapping paper at the book stores when the books were put on display to sell - and the actual book bindings were going from plain to decorative.  After 1900, the economics of publishing caused book bindings to become more expensive to produce decoratively. In the early 1900's  paper dust jackets were being produced cheaper by the publisher and were more elaborate than the books themselves.  Thus, we have a twist here that the dust covers became more valuable than the book - example case being:  "Dust jackets from the 1920s and later were often decorated in art deco styles which are highly prized by collectors. Some of them are worth far more than the books they cover. The most famous example is the jacket on the first edition of The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, published in 1925. Without jacket, the book brings $1,000 or so. With the jacket it can bring $20,000 or $30,000 or more, depending on condition. One copy in a near mint jacket was listed for sale in 2009 for half a million dollars."   So, once again independent leather book covers became popular to protect the dust covers.  They are still used today.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

KimberlyNoel60

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 12:26:32 am »
Thank you so much for all the input! I really appreciate it. I was wondering though if the size would change any ideas. I don't know anything about antique books but it seems quite large to be a book cover. Opened completely it is about 23 inches across and 15 inches down. It also has a pocket on the inside on each end. Is it still probably a book cover? Also, does anybody have any ideas of when it might have been made? Thanks again!!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 01:08:09 am »
KimberlyNoel60, if the pockets are positioned so that they open facing each other (opening at the spine) it is so the actual book bound cover can slide into the pockets and help hold it in place.

These would have been made in many sizes and large enough to accommodate several sizes of books that one would have. So, let's say 23 " total, and probably a 1" spine allowance and then some to give some room for the book....you would be looking at a book that was appx 10" wide which isn't uncommon.

Hope this helps. 

Are there any markings on it other than the decoration?  Has an old world European flair to it...but that doesn't mean it wasn't made by an artisan here!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!