Author Topic: Need Help!  (Read 1624 times)

jenafer09

• View Profile
Need Help!
« on: May 07, 2009, 09:03:32 am »
I purchased a pair of silverplated candlesticks, each holds 3. The logo on bottom has... "eagle Wm Rogers star" then the number 316 underneath it. Ive done a little research, and found out that this mark was used by William hisself beginning in 1825 until he passed then his son gave the rights to a company to use it and they did until 1939. So from 1825-1939 this mark was used. I have searched everywhere possible for a price and I found a few on ebay. Just one candlestick was going for $50.00, One pair was going for $125.00, and the other pair was $229.99. I would love to know the price/value of these. I want to sell them but really dont know what to ask for. Also, I am curious to know what the 316 means also. You can email me at jmooney15@aol.com.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: Need Help!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 09:23:58 am »
ironlord will be a long shortly' he will give you a hand.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 10:59:03 am »
     Being at work looking over my shoulder will limit the amount of infor I can offer.  But first you have a pair of Candelbrum, They was used to walk around the dark hallways and light up table setting in the days long past.  ;D.  The hallmark (E) Wm. Rogers (S) is owned and used by International Silver, which bought the Rogers line of product.  As for the number that is a pattern number, This may yield som clues to it actual age, but will have to wait till I get home for that.
     Dating Holloware can be very difficult, due to many items was made year after year using the same molds.  The important thing here is how they look and condition.  I find that Candelabrum are very sought after and can yield good price despite the history, cause not only collectors seek them out but also does the common shopper, and interior decorators.  The only real disadvantage here is it is made by International which has flooded the market with their products, about the most common name in silverplate items.  I don't see the pics so can't judge much on the the looks but like said earlyier looks and condition will be the main factor.  Start value at about $50.00 to about $100.00 would be my guess without seeing them.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 11:56:10 am »
     Another reason these are very sought after is the fact that over the years many have had the arms broken.  Inspect the arms close to see if any repair or cracks are present, this will affect the value.  Then also for clue to age consider looking at the amount of tarnish that has developed, these are very hard to clean espically in the arm pits, If they were well cared for which can be apparent in the patina when it is polish and still has very black tarnish in the hard to clean area, you may have a item that is older, but this is just clues to look for.  Style is another important factor.  There have been some very noticable changes in style, keep in mind that many victorian styles was reproduced in the 30's to the 50's.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 01:00:06 pm »
I thought it was just me....where are the pics?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 01:51:47 pm »
The pictures were there ?