Author Topic: Yellow West German mini tea set  (Read 2183 times)

BabyDesigner

• View Profile
Yellow West German mini tea set
« on: May 10, 2009, 09:28:21 pm »
Hi there,
Im looking at getting a little tea set my grandmother gave to me identified, and possibly valued (not sure if any one can help me with valuation?)

I have attached a photo of the whole set together, and the underside of the tray, I do have more if you need, so just ask :)

It is yellow, with little red flowers on it, 4 cups and saucers, milk saucer (think thats what its called), sugar bowl, tea pot, and tray. The tray has "Made in West Germany" on the underside, and it does have numbers too but I cant make them all out, some have come off :(

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Yellow West German mini tea set
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 10:55:41 pm »
Can't make out what it says above Germany.

Depending on who made it made a difference in $$$$.

When did she get this?  Approximate age!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

BabyDesigner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 12:06:00 am »
All it says is 'made in west germany' and then a number stamp to which some of the numbers have been worn off.  I will get my partner to get a better photo of the underside with his big camera when he has a moment.
I dont know when she got it, not even roughly. But i will ask my mum, she might have an idea. I suspect though that my grandmothers grandmother gave it to her, but i can't be certain. 

Chris_Marshall

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 02:11:14 am »
I do not know who made it but I would like to remark that it appears to me that it reads "Made in Western-Germany", not "made in West Germany" and that may be an important difference. Following the founding of both the West (FRG) and East (GDR) German states in 1949, "Germany" was used by both sides at first. Following a collision of interests, the two parts developed different versions of markings over time until 1989. Note that they all were not used during given periods, some companies even ignored these changes; e.g. East German companies marking 'Germany' (instead of GDR, etc.) is quite common until 1972. Anyway, the list here is only to be seen as a general 'transformation rule of thumb' and the following versions can be found with or without preceeding "Made in".

FRG: "Germany -> Western-Germany -> West Germany -> W.Germany"

GDR: "Germany -> Eastern Germany -> East Germany -> German Democratic Republic -> GDR"

Now as your set shows "Western" instead of "West" it's an older version and so I would guess roughly between 1952 and 1956, depending on factory.

BabyDesigner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 05:11:21 am »
Chris_Marshall your are right with it saying Western-Germany

I asked my mother if she knew anything about it, and she said she knows nothing. It would have been good if my grandmother had told either my mum or myself a bit of a story about it, but she didnt :( and she is gone now.

I am looking at the number on the underside of the tray thing, and I will try tell you what I can...
It is either 5/3??/? or 5/8??/?  (where the ? are are the numbers that I cant make out and there is a slight chance that there could be an additional number at the end, if so its been completely rubbed off, but i say it may be there because then it would be perfectly centred, without the additional number then it wouldnt be centred.)
Not sure if that helps at all?