Author Topic: Howdie.... new kid from Spokane  (Read 1396 times)

hookwhittler

• View Profile
Howdie.... new kid from Spokane
« on: May 12, 2009, 09:22:23 pm »
Hi everyone!  I've been wearing my patients thin trying to find out something about this pitcher and bowl that I bought at a yard sale years ago.  I normally am not interested in such things, but these items were REALLY interesting because they appear to be made of solid lead.  Now I imagine solid lead dinnerware would be rare, or it should be.

anyway, I'll try to post a picture: 

hookwhittler

• View Profile
Re: Howdie.... new kid from Spokane
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 09:27:00 pm »
oops... didn't get a chance to finish my post. 
I was going to tell you that the items appear to be a set, that they're labled "China" on the undersides, and that they don't seem to have any other markings other than the thin gold colored edge trim you see in the photo.

Anybody ever see the like? 

(don't think we'll be using either for cream and sugar)

Jim from Spokane

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 12:47:37 am »
Can't imagine them being lead....looks more like pewter to me

The rest of the gang will have input later I am sure!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

hookwhittler

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 06:45:30 am »
Oh they're lead alright.  The handles bend WAY too easily and the surfaces scratch too easily for pewter.   I'm amazed that they've lasted as long as they have in the condition they're in.  They're so soft, I could easily scrunch them in one hand.

I'm no metalurgist but I'd bet if there's ANY Tin in that metal, its trace.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 08:12:01 am »
Decorative purpose's I would think. it's said the Egyptians used chunk's of lead too sweeten there drink's. needless to say they met with and early death.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 12:57:27 pm »
Haven't seen items like this come from out of China...but I am sure that they did.  Have seen them surface from time to time from S American, European and Dutch countries.  Even in

To say the least they are not used if in face they are tin/lead serve ware.  The only value you would reap from these would be from an avid historian or sorts or someone using for decorative purposes.

I collect all kinds of historical service ware but have never collected lead pieces - my family or others not knowing what they are (especially upon my death some day) could possibly use....  I would recommend that you somehow mark this item being historical and metal content.  If you sell it with foreknowledge of it's content without full disclosure...that's how attorney's get rich.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!