Author Topic: Wall Plaques- English or Maybe not  (Read 1519 times)

amiga

• View Profile
Wall Plaques- English or Maybe not
« on: May 16, 2009, 12:23:59 am »
Hi all, I was given 3 wall plaques by my mother that I am trying to find out about. She comes from Staffordshire in England so they could all possibly be from there. One is clearly marked Staffs but the two smaller ones are not.  Written in pencil on the back of the 2 small ones is Goebel but the stuff I find on Goebel is very unlike this. The large plaque is ceramic on a brown velvet background, it is 7.5cm square. The 2 smaller ones are ceramic on black velvet and are 5cm square. Any help much appreciated. Maybe they are not even called plaques?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Wall Plaques- English or Maybe not
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 01:33:31 pm »
The top one definitely looks Staffordshire....on e of my grandmothers had one similar to this on her wall.  In addition, she had some some pheasant plaques on her wall in the same style as yours...on black velvet and framed.    (I was under the impression she had framed her pheasant plaques herself - she was a very talented lady and into all sort of women's groups garden club, etc.)  I will try and find out more....seeing these was a blast from the past!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

amiga

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 01:41:46 am »
The top one definitely looks Staffordshire....on e of my grandmothers had one similar to this on her wall.  In addition, she had some some pheasant plaques on her wall in the same style as yours...on black velvet and framed.    (I was under the impression she had framed her pheasant plaques herself - she was a very talented lady and into all sort of women's groups garden club, etc.)  I will try and find out more....seeing these was a blast from the past!
They are lovely but not home crafts they are professionally made and framed.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 05:36:52 pm »
Amiga, sorry I didn't explain further....my grandmother was a very talented lady that won awards all over and was even hired by Disney to do bisque porcelain.  My grandfather was a artisan as well and professionally made furniture and framed.  So...their items were not "home crafts" as so many of us make.

The Staffordshire item is a round ceramic plaque that has been mounted for wall presentation. These were very popular in the early 90's (generally 1900 - 1940). They were sold as ceramic discs and many do have hanging insets on the back.  However, many people wanted to make the plaque more pronounced in presentation and had them mounted, generally on velvet and then wood framed, generally in a golden/gilded frame. Cannot tell if yours is hand painted or decal ware.  Irregardless, these are selling between $30 - $45.

As for the others, cannot say as they are Staffordshire.  Many factories produced items of this sort during the same time period.   
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

amiga

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 03:29:44 am »
Thanks KC
As usual great info. Didnt mean any malace by the home craft comment.It sounds like you come from talented stock lol.  Do you know what these items are actually called... cant find any anywhere