Author Topic: teaset help appreciated.  (Read 1271 times)

pennypup

• View Profile
teaset help appreciated.
« on: May 16, 2009, 04:37:03 am »
I have a tea set which belonged to my mother, so I would guess must be at least 40/50 years old.
I think it is EPNS; the stamp on the bottom of each item is EPLNS, the L being slightly larger than the other letters.
Can anyone give me an estimate as to its value?
Also, if I were to sell it, would it be best to leave it in its present condition, or clean it?

regularjoe2

• View Profile
Re: teaset help appreciated.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 09:41:50 am »
Hello pennypup ...

You pose a great question ...
I've had both pleasant and unpleasant results when cleaning silver/silverplate items .
On the one hand , it makes it possible to honestly describe defects in a piece offered for sale .
On the other hand , defects will often be accentuated or further damage can be caused by the 'cleaning/polishing' process .
Original patina can be an issue , I've found , in some buyers of antique sterling silver .
In my case , I like to ask myself - "Would I want to display/use heavily tarnished silver in my house ?"

It can be a tough call to make , esp. with silverplate .

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 10:15:13 am »
Regularjoe is right. it has a natural patina as it set's now. it's mid 1930's. should sell in the $ 75.00 Dollar range.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 01:43:12 pm »
Typically you wouldn't clean this to sell it...especially if it hasn't been cleaned in many years. 

Many buyers prefer that...but I learned in error that it is a buyer beware!  It hides many flaws.  However said...you wouldn't want to clean it up for sale..but clean it up if you want to keep it.  For Electro Plated Nickel Silver the thin layer of silver can be worn through or pitted by environmental pollution over the years and won't truly show up until you clean/shine it. 

I would agree with D&b and would put a value of $50 - $75 on it.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!