Author Topic: Art History Mystery  (Read 7113 times)

regularjoe2

• View Profile
Art History Mystery
« on: May 16, 2009, 09:44:19 pm »
I'm wondering if there's anyone here that's familiar with the work of Elisabeth Sonrel ( French , Tours 1874-Sceaux 1953 ) ?
I've been studying a painting I have , and two more that are variants of it ( as well as an original B&W image of the original painting exhibited at the Salon (Paris , Fr.) in 1913 ) .
One of these paintings is in a museum in Plougastel , Fr. ; another just sold on Ebay.Fr. on the 12th of this month for 75000 Euros (#270386572315 in Art,Antiquites>Art du XIXeme,et avant>Peintures,Emaux [vendor-oivm75]) .
The quandry is : none of the painting EXACTLY match the one exhibited in 1913 .
My painting , like the others is watercolor & gouache , on silk , signed .
On the back of mine , however , in pencil = Elisabeth Sonrel (signature) '42 Avr 8 (April 8,1942)
above this is - 1 / 7 . I'll post pics , if anybody knows anything about this artist ! ;)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 09:46:42 pm by regularjoe2 »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Art History Mystery
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 10:37:29 pm »
regularjoe2, you need to always post a picture with your requests.  Even if we don't know the answer, many times we refer it on to others and so on.  There are many questions that get answered immediately, and then there are those that you will always need to check back and refresh your posting.  We are all willing to help and learn together!  (sounds corny but true!)

Glad to have you here!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 11:19:25 pm »
Thanks KC !
I will be more better soon !

I'm enjoying the forum very much .
This is a semi-epic story , so I was reluctant to post all the images , esp. if nobody was/is familiar with the artist .
So now , to heck with that !
I'll tell the story along the way with posts of images .
Here's an image of the original advert-postcard for the paintings' first showing in 1913 :

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 11:25:46 pm »
Here's an Image of the painting that is hanging in museum , Plougastel , France .

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 11:49:17 pm »
Looks like I'll need to contact an admin or a moderator ;
I'm getting the message that the upload folder is full , whenever I try to post images .

Perhaps I'll get some input on this problem & return tomorrow with more images & the rest of the story .

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 03:18:13 am »
I'm getting the message that the upload folder is full , whenever I try to post images

regularjoe, sometimes that problem arises because of the high pixel count of your photo. So, via your photo program, click on "Save Copy As" and then click "For WEB or E-mail View". Then "Upload" the Saved As copies.

That action reduces the pixel count from megabytes(mb) to kilobytes(kb) without really affecting the viewing quality of the photo .... or overflowing the "upload folder". And if you are on "dial up" the Upload time decreases from an hour to 5 minutes or so.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 07:51:02 am »
Well since my Hair is getting greyer my bald spot is gettin bigger. I would suggest the 1/7 indicates she did some limited edition painting's.

Your's being one (1) of (7)

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 10:15:12 am »
Many thanks , Cogar !
My photo software does not offer such options .
I'll struggle along & find a way to put more images in the forum .

Trust me that I'm not 'blowing smoke' about this mystery , though .
There are over 300hrs worth of research I've done , as well as the research performed by the French experts and students of Elisabeth Sonrels' works .
The big question I have brought to light is simply : What happened to the original ?
Did the Nazis , or someone else steal it? Was it destroyed? Is it somewhere in a private collection , yet undiscovered ?....etc. , etc.
...& - are the owners/museums holding 'limited editions' getting p/o'ed that they really don't have the original ? -(info from around the campfire in France says they are)
The saga continues , with many unanswered questions !
Thanks also to D&b antiques for your comments !

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 10:31:54 am »
I'am inclined to agree with the camp fire in france. we have some limited edition paintings. that are not being correctly identified.

If by chance you the have the first one! Lucky you. but we have Six (6) missing or slightly altered and sold.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 03:54:54 pm »
O.K. ... here's a link to the image of the painting that sold for $75,000 Euros on Ebay.fr , May 12 , 2009 .

http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/mrgeekteatoo/EbayFr.jpg

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 04:03:10 pm »
Here is a link to an image of the painting I own ( signed within the painting , monogrammed with the artists' seal , signed in pencil by the artist & dated [on the back of the painting] - including the mark 1 / 7 , indicating that it is the first of a series of seven ) -

http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/mrgeekteatoo/1of7.jpg

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 04:28:51 pm »
More info as follows : The original painting was titled "Les deux Soeurs" (The two Sisters) as is mine . Other versions (of the series from mine) have been sold with the title "Les Bretonnes" .
The original painting (of 1912-1913) was painted at Roche de L'imperatrice ( Rock of the Empress ) in Plougastel , France .
It is suspected that my painting was also painted there , since (amoung other facts , so far , anyway) only the original & the one here in the U.S. are the singular ones that have both this description of the exact location and the identical title .
It is currently unknown if the original painting was monogrammed by the artist ... research is on-going , however .
This is the artists' contribution to the theme of "Two Sisters" , frequently expressed by artists throughout Art History .

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 07:44:42 pm »
Don't know if you know of this post on another site but thought I would reference if for you....
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Fine-Art-3122/2009/4/Elisabeth-Sonrel-painting.htm
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 04:22:41 pm »
Thanks KC .
I'm busted now .
That post was mine , done while 'fishing' for someone here in the U.S. who really knows their stuff ( in regards to Elisabeth Sonrels' works ) @ allexperts.com .
In my case , I am really attempting to get the true story about some (as yet undiscovered/unwritten) Art History concerning a deceased artist (whose contemporaries are also deceased) , all commercial concerns aside . For me , sometimes a small or seemingly inconsequential bit of info can lead to another little bit (& so on & etc.) that may (or may not) lead to something with credence .
I have even stooped so far as to appear (vaguely , anyway) to be considering 'taking offers' from buyers on this painting , in the process of trying to 'flush some birds out of the bushes' who may know something more than me or the experts who are helping with this mystery .
I will say that alot of the online contacts I've made seem to be more interested in being involved with the commercial side of the story , though .
I must add here also , whatever the outcome of all this research may turn up , I'm honestly not numb to the possible effects to the value of this painting , and others like it .

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 05:32:42 pm »
I admire your perseverance. I did some snooping, and discovered she is what we would call a lost but found artist. meaning her work was not internationally recognised until much later in her life.

Ample oppurtunity for your painting, to come in to Existence.and few record's to support them. every thing is where it should be. I suspect you have and unknown original. 

The art expert's could confirm the style. signature etc.