Author Topic: do you know?  (Read 6835 times)

shanny

• View Profile
do you know?
« on: May 18, 2009, 08:15:45 pm »
Recently my great aunt passed away and I was left with a few of her trinkets. Her daughter says they are junk, but I would like to think they have some value. They are beautiful pieces. This is a three piece set, two candlestick holders and a large bowl made just the same as the candlestick holders, but larger. There is no data only what is on the bottom which has  L. & L. and the numbers 8273. I have researched and can not come up with anything. any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.Shanny

railman44

• View Profile
Re: do you know?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 08:31:51 pm »
I think we can all agree they're not 'junk'.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 09:01:14 pm »
L&L is referring to the company noted on items as L & L WMC  -  LOEVSKY & LOEVSKY White Metal Casting Brothers and Wife's, were  in business between the mid 1950's until the 70's.

Their items are being resold all the time on EBay and other venues.  They are still collectible and beautiful.  If you could post a pic of the candle holders as well we can give you a better idea of the value!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

shanny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 06:36:08 am »
That is the picture of the one candle holder. And this is the picture of all three. thanks for any info on these items. Shanny P.S they are not cleaned up very well   :-\

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 11:37:18 am »
That looks to be "presses pattern glass" but the pattern of the bowl is different than the candle holders.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 11:52:02 am »
They do appear to be pressed glass cogar; I believe that is what majority were made of that this company worked with.  Seen their works over the years and their lamps/candle lights have pressed glass. 

Generally when an item has aged a patina develops - which is what appears here on two of the pieces.  It seems that one has been "cleaned/polished".  The difficulty with this is that you can't re-patina the cleaned item....only time can do that...so you have to clean the others to try and match.  When patina's develop many times uneven color tones change due to the integrity of the base metals occur in the item- so even tho you may work hard to polish - it won't have that "new" appearance that so many strive for.  Some of L&L's items were real brass and some appeared to be cast metals.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

shanny

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 06:02:48 pm »
Yes, I noticed that while they are similiar the bigger bowl is a different pattern from the candleholders. Thanks for all the info. I haven't been able to locate any other help. I would love to know the round about year and the value.  thanks shanny

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 12:22:46 am »
No way to tell for sure with the information....they went into bankruptcy and didn't leave records.

I am betting they were made in early 60's.  Typically the largest one would sit on a table with an arrangement of "fake fruit" or flowers/plants and have the candles on either side.

Yes, the design is different on the center bowl piece, however, the metal casting bases are very similar.

I would value the center piece at $20 - 30 and the candlesticks at $25 - $30 for the pair.