Author Topic: Info on oil painting??  (Read 2408 times)

dtpahrump

• View Profile
Info on oil painting??
« on: May 22, 2009, 01:24:27 pm »
I have this oil painting that was handed down from my grandmother about 50 years ago, titled Christ at Gethsemene on the paper on the back of the frame..signed H. Clementz at the bottom right hand corner...I've been looking for quite some time to try and find who the artist is...the only thing I've found is German artist Hermann Clementz(1852-1930), but can't find a copy of his signature to verify...figures in the painting look similar to what I've seen of his on some posters but I'm not sure...hopefully the pics will help..any info on who the artist could be and if there is any value to this painting would be greatly appreciated....than ks   DT

regularjoe2

• View Profile
Re: Info on oil painting??
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 04:35:07 pm »
A Hermann Clementz sold over in Europe for around +14k , in 2008 , I think , titled "Kain&Able" .

Keep plugging away @ it , dtpahrump .
Sigs can be hard to find , but sometimes are easier to get examples of in the country of origin of the artist .

An expert would prob. have to remove any backing mat'l from a frame holding a painting to authenticate any painting in question , so you might think about doing so (and photo-document the process along the way) or : you might also consider paying an Art Conservator to do so for you (depending on the conservator , they might let you photo-document the process) .

I'm submitting this for your consideration because Hermann Clementz would sometimes sign & date his paintings on the back of the canvas/paper .
Sometimes 2 sigs are better than one .

Food for thought , anyway .

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 05:30:31 pm »
The paper on the back. serve's two purpose's. One it prevent's dust from settling on the back. And two' it's helps prevent the painting from '' Breathing''. if for example the picture was too hang in a liveing room close too a door.

The Draft could cause the canvas to. '' Vibrate'' which after a number of years could cause damage to the painting's Canvas fiber's.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 05:45:50 pm »
D&b is 100% on that (paper also keeps the cooties out & should be replaced if damaged) !
If I was unclear : I'm not suggesting you pull out the bootknife & "get ta' slicin'" just for the heck of it .
What I was speaking about is the fact that an authentication of your painting , if you're going that route , will require seeing the back of the canvas .

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 06:41:08 pm »
Regular joe your age is Showing. Cooties was a game when I was just  A chill'un. a side from a moisture barrier.them cooties has me thinking.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 09:39:27 am »
D&b ... no doubt about the old guy thing .

Young whippersnappers- can't live with 'em , can't live without 'em ...

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 09:47:57 am »
I still have my Cooties game tucked away somewhere....LOL

The name just seems/looks so familiar....wonder if prints were made out of these. 

Most likely depicting Jesus praying at Gethsemane before being betrayed. Matthew 26:36
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 09:55:23 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

dtpahrump

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 07:13:46 am »
Thanks for all of the input/info on the painting...I'm still plugging away trying to find a copy of the signature...very interesting about the paper on the back...anyone know of an expert in this field in the Las Vegas area? Thanks again for all of your help....DT

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 09:52:13 am »
I'll suggest that you might want to check out Clementz paintings at artinfo dot com .

You can set up a free account , then view some info & images of his work there .
There's at least one image of his sig on a painting there ; there's also checking out prints with his sig on other websites (sounds like you've done this already) .

You also might give a shot at contacting the folks at hermannclementz dot com , for further info . I think there's an image of a sig there too .

You may have one of his paintings that's been 'off the radar' for some time , in my opinion .
The style , sig & composition is pretty consistant with Hermann Clementz .
That's not to say I'm an expert on this artist , I have seen only one of his paintings in person ( a private collection in Germany , 1997 ).

It also might be getting near the time to start thinking about insurance for your painting , should it turn out to be authentic  (just thinking 'out loud' here , dtpahrump).