Author Topic: roll top repair  (Read 3251 times)

mydaddyshands

• View Profile
roll top repair
« on: May 24, 2009, 11:46:46 am »
I'm repairing a roll top tambor that is about 150 years old.  The tambor has three 1-1/4" brass ribbons running through it.  Does anyone have a source for replacment ribbons?
Thank you.   Byron Copley

regularjoe2

• View Profile
Re: roll top repair
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 07:52:21 pm »
Perhaps you could just check with a local metals company & buy some standard gauge sheet/roll stock brass to make/fabricate your own .
 If you can't do this yourself , maybe there's a sheetmetal worker near you that can ( if you need something more complex than straight 1-1/4" brass bands ).

I personally don't know of any company that has such replica parts available , though .

Someone else here might know of one .

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 08:26:13 pm »
Google 'metals'.  There are companies that ship all lengths, thicknesses and widths of just about any type of metal you can think of. 

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 03:11:52 am »
Educate me. What do you mean by "running through it"?

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 07:28:00 am »
Educate me. What do you mean by "running through it"?
I've been thinking the same thing.  I've always thought the 'roll' portion were wooden slats glued to canvas.  Some pictures of the object (desk?) are needed.

mydaddyshands

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 11:56:39 am »
This was new to me also.  Each slat has 4 1/32"x 1-1/2" slots in the middle.  This seems to allow the slots to flex either direction with ease.  Over time with flexing of all four brass ribbons have broke.  I would just cover the back with canvas but the slats are made in such a way that they move front to back equally.  Canvas would cause them to bind.  The concept is similer to slatted blinds that can flex either direction to filter light up or down.  The slats are finished on the front and the back so you have a very finished look outside and inside.  The desk was not made in factory as far as I can tell.  Just a penciled signature.  Thanks for all your help so far.  Part of my problem is I live in the Rockies 110 miles from Denver so I have no local sorces.  I have tried various searches but have struck out so far with anything close to the what I need.  I will take a picture.   The concept is ingenious.  I have no idea how a craftsman could have cut the slats.  Thanks again.  Byron

mydaddyshands

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 12:16:13 pm »

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 01:17:47 pm »
This is an example of what's online.  Not cheap but no minimums.  You can always order a short piece to see if it would work.
http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=1366&step=4&showunits=inches&id=83&top_cat=79

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 02:16:48 pm »
If you know what gauge (thickness) this existing brass is , I'd suggest that you buy a roll of 'shim stock' , which usually goes up to .020 in thickness .

alaskacopper dot com sells rolls @ 6"x100" .

I've done business with them here in the Pacific NW & they've always done good by me (manufactured metal products have fixed costs , though) .

You might be able to buy some from/through a local machine shop too .
Shim stock is kinda old-school , but it's still available .

Happy hunting !

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 04:04:26 pm »
Bryon, what might work for your project is a piece of .... copper roof flashing.