Author Topic: Hope someone knows about this.  (Read 2463 times)

RLW

• View Profile
Hope someone knows about this.
« on: May 25, 2009, 04:31:51 pm »
Hello everyone,
 My parents have this fireplace in their living room and after talking to my mother it seems little is known about it.
All I know is that about 20 years ago someone gave it to them from a house that was being torn down all they had to do was remove it, It has been in their living room every since. I was hoping someone on the board would know something about it because I can't come up with anything for her. I've looked online and without a name or markings I'm coming up with no info. Please let me know if the look is something one of you might know of. thank you.

Ron

railman44

• View Profile
Re: Hope someone knows about this.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 05:16:15 pm »
Very nice 'gift' especially with the insert!!  In today's market the fireplace mantel and insert are worth several thousand dollars.  I'm not sure what wood it's made from but I'd guess oak.  Very popular in nice homes before, during the turn of the century and after.  Unless it's marked it would be nearly impossible to know who made it.  Plane-jane old fancy wooden fireplace mantels without inserts usually sell for $1500+.  I wouldn't let that get away.  There are others on this forum whom I'm sure can be more helpful.  Beautiful piece!!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 03:28:12 am »
That looks to me to be "quarter sawn" oak.
Read about it here:  http://barnyardgazette.blogspot.com/2007/09/what-is-quarter-sawn-oak.html

I feel safe in saying there were millions of such mantles produced because one can find anywhere from 1 to 4+ of them in older houses. These were made with and without the top section w/mirror, and in all shapes and sizes, and some with round columns on either side.

Many people who have bought old houses took them out and trashed them when they renovated said. But in the past 30+ years many Professionals (Doctors, Lawyers, etc) have purchased old houses and renovated them for their offices …. but they had all the woodwork (floors, moldings, mantles, door facings, etc.) refinished and then decorated to match said.

Walk iinto some of those Offices and you think you are walking back into the 1920's.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 12:01:20 pm »
Very Beautiful Mantle and love the fireplace insert!  Agree with cogar, this was fairly common in older homes late 1890 - early 1900's.  So many were destroyed from renovations and now people are beginning to appreciate the simple artistry that is very fashionable today.

Now, the insert is one I have never seen before.  Depends on what part of the country you are in where you see a prevalence of the different styles.  Very nice, ornate, but not overdone.

I would definitely give it a $1500 as it appears to be in great shape, beautiful appearance and if in perfect working order!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 12:13:33 pm »
Every body is right. it's Tiger oak surround. 1890 to 1920. what's interesting is the Art Noveau cast iron insert.

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 12:21:55 pm »
From your picture, the only caveat with these are the low 8' ceilings in modern homes. 

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 01:12:50 am »
ps:  RLW, I also like their mantle clock.

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 01:53:36 am »
ps:  RLW, I also like their mantle clock.
I like it too but it shouldn't be located on the mantel.  It's too big for that spot.  It's basically a kitchen clock or was initially meant to be.  A smaller brass clock would really compliment the piece.  My .02 pesos.