Author Topic: rogers silverplate company candlesticks #1633  (Read 7252 times)

shanny

• View Profile
rogers silverplate company candlesticks #1633
« on: May 26, 2009, 10:07:48 am »
Hi, everyone, I just purchased these wonderful candlesticks at an antique flea market. I paid $30 for the set, but I would love to know more about them. I have spent the morning trying to find something out, but was unable to get any help at all. They are very unique and very heavy.  Each one is designed with people working, children playing, it has floral and homes on it. It is very detailed. Could anyone give me any ideas on the value or date? The bottoms say Rogers silverplate co 1633
thanks in advance for any help
shanny

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: rogers silverplate company candlesticks #1633
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 10:47:41 am »
    First, If you can, would like to see a shot of the hallmarks.  Usually there is more then just Rogers Silverplate Co.  i.e. Wm Rogers, Rogers and Sons and etc.  Next Rogers is about the most common silverplate item one can acquire, proabaly in the range of 60 to 70% will be a Rogers of one form or another.  Too much to write about the history of the name rogers.  However despite the markings of rogers your item is made by Internation most likely, maybe oneida depending on the rogers hallmark.  I would first look into International silver co.
     the items are very unique as far a embellishments this may help the value a lot, due to it decorative value, most Silverplate candle sticks by International or even oneida will yield about what you payed, but with the hallmarks one may be able to target the value a bit more.
     As for the age of the item, Silverplate was started in 1854, but never really took off until the 1870's, and was as a height at the turn of the century. then after the war pretty much was just a decoration and or holiday item.  Most likely you are looking at around the turn of the century to pre war era, however this also must be taken with a grain of Salt. Holloware molds was used for many year after it was first introduced, even being use today in some cases.  So if you do pinpoint the age of the introduction of Item #1633, you will have to judge the item.
     Judge the item can be a challange, look at hard to polish areas for the amount of tarnish, look at the wear and tear of the item and give it your best shot.  This of course will depend on the care given to the item during it history.  Again if you can get pics of the hallmarks maybe we can pin point the item better.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 05:01:36 pm »
These look exactly like the one for sale on Ebay Item #  200317507643   ! 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 05:19:00 pm »
Great find, wow but different hallmarks

shanny

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 08:21:21 pm »
The only thing on the bottom of both candle holders says Rogers Silverplate Co 1633. They are identical, so they are a set, i do know that much. I did look up the ebay auction that you listed and am so amazed that they match. Mine are about an inch shorter than that one, and the floral designs are a little bigger, but how would that be made from a different company than mine? I am so confused...Thanks for the help so far. I am going to try to find out somemore about them, but it is a very long process...
shanny
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 08:29:12 pm by shanny »

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 08:37:35 pm »
   It was not a uncommon thing to buy the base metal already made and then another company Plate the item, or as said earlier both may be owned by International.  The problem I still have not figured out is the hallmark on yours.  Wm. Rogers, WmA. Rogers. Rogers and bros, etc.  Have not seen a hallmark that says Rogers Silverplate Co.  Not that I have seen all the hallmarks yet, just still makes me wonder a bit.  Wm Rogers is International, WmA Rogers is Oneida, There is even a F.B. Rogers, most of the rogers hallmarks are owned by international, oh yea and 1881 Rogers is also Oneida.  Again I think the base was bought from International, or maybe Oneida and plated and stamp different.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 01:59:19 am »
Speaking of Oneida, back about 75’ I was a member of a group that was given a “special” tour of the Oneida Silver plant in Oneida, NY. Now I was not then, or now, a silver fancier but the one thing I remember about that experience was their Blue Room. Shelf after shelf after shelf of glass enclosed silver and silver plate of the different items that Oneida had produced over the years.

The Oneida Community commune has an interesting history that led up to their producing of silverware.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oneida_Community

shanny

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 07:34:07 am »
I think that they must be duplicated from an older version from Barbour Repousse, because there is a vase on ebay that matches these, and they want 999.00 for it. However, the children and people that are on the candle sticks seem more dutch like then anything. Plus, there is a windmill. The tag that was on the candle holders when I purchased them, said French Repousse. Does anyone know what this means? I cannot seem to get a good pictures of the bottom, so that everyone can see it says Rogers Silverplate Co 1633.
Thanks
shanny

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 07:48:03 am »
Repousse is a metal working technique, it is to hand hammer the image by pounding it on the reverse side, kinda like the opposite of Embossing, I also believe that is a technique that was popular in the early 1900's,  Not 100% on these details but that is what I thought it means.  Maybe you have a early Rogers piece before they were aquried by international,  I believe that the hallmarks just says Rogers Silverplate Co. I just have not seen that hallmark before, nor is it in any of my books, I need to maybe dig a bit deeper.  Also just thinking that if they are Repoussse they don't use molds I would think, this may add a bit different twist  :o.  I will look a bit more after work today in my books, if nothing else you have a fine set of candlesticks that I would consider very unique.     

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 08:01:23 am »
 1883 R.W.Rogers went in with R. Strickland & co. of Albany New york circa 1894. as rogers silver plate. rogers silver co filed and injunction in 1894.

putting and end too that deal. you have and Antique set.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 08:58:37 am »
To clear up any misunderstanding, William Rogers Mfg co. put and injuction against Roger's silver plate co.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 09:31:20 am »
Wow!  Read several articles on this...

Good one for people to read http://openjurist.org/70/f1d/1017

So in essence, these candlesticks, were made by Strickland & Company using the stamp of Rogers Silverplate Company on them.  This was ruled in the courts as illegal to do business using a "man's name" for profit and public deception - (The deception being that it was made by another company and not Rogers).  Definitely a family (Rogers) argument that was settled in court.

Makes these candlesticks all the more intriguing.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 09:37:00 am »
Cool that is wonderful information you guy rock.  So that will make these a bit more special and places a date on them.  That should raise the value more for these.  Great find

shanny

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 08:32:04 pm »
Thank you guys so much...I took two hours looking for any kind of rogers silverplate company online today. and I couldn't find anything. So you're right when saying that they kind of really didn't exist as Rogers Silverplate co.  I would love any other info on them. I love my antiques and I am considering these a rare and great find. The detailed work on them made me go back and buy them. They weigh 2 pounds a piece, so i thought, candlestick by day, weapon by night if needed  :P
thanks so much for all  of you that have helped and continue to help me
shanny