Author Topic: Help with identifying a fox figurine  (Read 2203 times)

lolahouchins

• View Profile
Help with identifying a fox figurine
« on: June 03, 2009, 01:30:42 pm »
I have a fox figurine that is dressed as a butler and is holding a tray. The figurine is standing on his hind feet and is 12 1/2" tall. He has on a red coat, vest, and tie. Also wearing knee length blue pants. He is holding a tray with a yellow flower in the middle. The only mark is on the bottom of the green rectangular platform he is standing on; it is H58250. I am not sure if the figurine is stoneware or ceramic. ???

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Help with identifying a fox figurine
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 06:21:07 pm »
These days my mind just can't figure out where this is  from....seems kind of like Brer Fox from Song of the South (Disney 1946)....but it may be another kid's tale.  Could even be from another country or a newer story Fantastic Mr. Fox....

He just has an English look to him!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 06:27:02 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 08:51:13 pm »
Appears to me it has the UK 'fox hunt' look.  I could be all wet but the red coat and short trousers just has the look from across the pond. ???

lolahouchins

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 02:17:15 pm »
Thanks for your comments. I kind of thought it looked German or UK because of the pattern on the tray. Any comments about how much it could be worth? :-\

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 02:47:29 pm »
This seems to be ceramic from the pic - to me.

Is it porcelain or ceramic?  This does affect the value.

Also, determination of origin, if it is attached to a story, etc are needed to help determine the value!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

lolahouchins

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 01:09:36 pm »
Thanks so much for the input.  I am not sure if it is porcelain or stoneware. I think it is porcelain, but it's heavy. It almost feels like porcelain that sinks and toilets are made of. There is a small area at the tip of the tail that has lost it's paint and the material under the paint is shiny, so I don't think it is ceramic. :P I really know nothing about it. I bought it at a thrift shop in Florida. But, I still think it was made somewhere in the Eastern Block. Czech, German, Yugoslavia...

lolahouchins

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 11:47:03 am »
I was hoping someone could help me identify who the manufacturer is. If anyone has any other ideas please let me know.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 12:45:42 pm »
Okay, I believe I found it...."The Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck" written/illustrated by Beatrix Potter and first published in 1908.  This is an original BRITISH kids story!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tale_of_Jemima_Puddle-Duck

Th fox invites the duck to his place.  The duck finds out that the fox has invited other animals to dinner....and they are never seen again! With the help of Kip the dog, she plans ahead and outsmarts the fox!!!!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 12:53:54 pm by KC »

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 08:10:41 pm »
Sounds like a good call on that one KC !

lolahouchins

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 03:43:56 pm »
Thank you all for the input. If anyone finds out more please let me know. I will continue to search for the manufacturer. ::)