Author Topic: Democratic Donkey Pin  (Read 1776 times)

Kallamoon

• View Profile
Democratic Donkey Pin
« on: June 09, 2009, 04:17:32 pm »
I am still working to get a photo of this pin.

I came across this pin in a pile of 'junk' and other jewelry left to my by my grandmother, who passed away in 2003 at the age of 87 (if I am not mistaken).

The pin is nothing like I ever saw before, and it took me a moment to realize what it was.
The pin is a donkey, set to look as though it is jumping or rearing. It is wearing a blanket that is colored in black and white enamel, and there is white enamel along the front ear.  A little rectangle that says "DEM" in gold letters with a black enameled background connects the blanket and the mane.  It is in the style of an Anubis, the body is scroll-worked in an Egyptian style and the legs have the appearance of being "wrapped" by scroll lines.
It is gold-toned, "antique-blackened" in the scroll-work, the eye, the make and the legs.  I do not know if this was part of the original design or a sign of age, though the shadows in the legs are black-enameled.

I searched the internet for "vintage democratic pin" "vintage donkey pin" "vintage democratic donkey pin" and all of those with "vintage" replaced with "antique".  I have seen many pins, most of them with rhinestones, and most of them standing.  None of the ones I saw look anything like this pin.

Kallamoon

• View Profile
Re: Democratic Donkey Pin
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 10:18:50 am »
I am still working to get a photo of this pin.

I have taken photos of the pin, front and back.  They are attached.

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 11:07:22 am »
While all political memorabilia is collectable, the items with a candidate are the most valuable.  They not only date the piece but some candidates had very little advertising.   

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 11:15:12 am »
Your pin dates to the 1920's. & would sell in the $ 30.00 to $ 40.00 Dollar range.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 01:11:35 pm »
Agree with railman44 & D&b.  Democratic memorabilia will be on the uprise in value with Democratic president. 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Kallamoon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 01:44:45 pm »
Wow! The '20s?  That's amazing, and also means it pre-dated my grandmother's actual activity, as she'd have been 4-14 during that time, and at the time of her death, she was Republican.  Thanks for the information!  I'll have to go digging back to check on my family history to see where this pin came from.