Poll

Can anyone help me please?

email me at dixiebutterfly1966@yahoo.com
0 (0%)
email my husband at musicman54494@yahoo.com
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Need help with value of mirror  (Read 3439 times)

wigrandma

• View Profile
Need help with value of mirror
« on: June 10, 2009, 02:38:22 pm »
We found this mirror in my father-in-laws garage and was going to put it in a rummage sale. After finding the markings on the back (Galax Mirror Galax, Va Feb 2 1949) I did a web search on the company which is now owned by another company. I called the new company and the lady was kind enough to tell me that Galax went out of business many years ago. She said that what she could tell me was that they were very well known for making top quality mirrors and that from what I had told her the mirror was probably indeed worth something. The mirror is extremely heavy and the glass is the original stamped 1949. If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: Need help with value of mirror
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 02:43:43 pm »
Looks to a be a wood frame ?

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 02:59:10 pm »
shop value. $75.00 to $ 125.00 Dollars. flea market yard sale etc. $25.00 to $ 45.00 Dollars.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 03:07:27 pm »
Nice mirror, I would even bump up D&b's value a tad bit on shop value to $150 if in fact it is wooden and no chips/cracks/breaks but would keep the flea market price the same...because everyone wants a deal!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

wigrandma

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 04:56:23 pm »
Im not really even sure if it is wood. I thought it may be pewter or something. This mirror is EXTREMELY  heavy!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 01:32:43 am »
The weight is due to the thickness of the glass which could be up to 3/8"+- if it is a beveled mirror.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 01:15:20 pm »
Agree with cogar.  From looking at the back pic of the mirror that appears to be wooden frame (which is heavier than modern resin).  It is amazing how the thickness of the glass can make a mirror so dadburn heavy.

Also, typically with an older frame the ornate work on the top of the mirrors would be made of wood - whereas newer ones are attached wooden, metal or resin pieces.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!