Author Topic: What are these Utensils?  (Read 4331 times)

unknownlife

• View Profile
What are these Utensils?
« on: June 22, 2009, 04:53:01 am »
I received these from my mother some years back who got them as a gift from her brother who traveled to Germany. Anyone have any idea what these are??

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: What are these Utensils?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 07:38:45 am »
Are there any hallmarks on the back side of the handles or anywhere to help identify the maker?

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 07:54:54 am »
I look at replacements identification guide and somewhat looks like a cranberry spoon, but not quite.  My guess would be some kind of desert serving set.  If we can find the manufacture of the set this might help to find out.  Sorry that is not much yet, but maybe someone else will have a bit more culture then I  ;D.

unknownlife

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 10:47:06 am »
I have searched the box and the utensils many times for any form of identification of maker but the only marks i can find is two stars in the back of the handle that look exactly like this... " ** ".

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 01:18:04 pm »
It is a appetizer set or dessert set.  (Either for pate' or soft cheese.) Beautiful design! 

You didn't indicate any markings that it is silver - so most likely silverplate.

Would give it a value of $25
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 04:29:28 pm »
just a tip. the gold tinting was used to prevent the acid's from the food eating the metal.

unknownlife

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 08:50:05 am »
actually they're silver and not silver plated. The fronts are edged with a diamond cut. The gold tint is actually from the light in my living room. I don't have a digital cam so i had to use a cell phone to take the pictures.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 09:29:19 am »
they are silver plated. other wise they would be hall marked or say sterling silver.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 03:12:39 pm »
unknownlife - I'm curious to know if the two ' * ' marks you mentioned are actually stamped into the surface of the metal , or do they appear to be raised from the surface of the metal ?

unknownlife

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 05:57:58 pm »
The " ** " are stamped, and i don't know if they would say they were silver because they are 40+ years old from Germany (or some wheres other then the US) and they are tarnished like silver does, I had to have them polished and they are starting to tarnish on the back again.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 06:57:03 pm »
A suggestion , if you want to do all the research , unknownlife :

You might try smpub.com & join the forum there (it's a silver/silverplate forum) & post a real good pic of your hallmarks (the admin there is very picky about how he wants images posted) .
There's lots of 'silver-freaks' there who have run up against unidenitfied / uncataloged marks .
Not anywhere as friendly moderators there as they are here towards newbies , but ......it might be worth a shot .

There's also 925-1000.com

both have searchable databases for silver/silverplate hallmarks .

I have not seen the hallmark ( I don't think so anyway ) that you're speaking of (of course , a good image of it posted might change this) .

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 08:30:04 pm »
As a general rule all silver is marked for it's content, As always they could be made from a silversmith that was rogue per say, or maybe just a craftsman.
I'm not sure by looking at the case that goes with them they would be either of these, I have not seen hallmarks like this either.  I do remember something about germany having something like a 800/1000 standard, but I have to go find that again.  However these are usually maked 800.   Silverplate had different rules of hallmark they are very loose, but even here most are very marked as tradition and pride.  Personnal if it is not marked sterling the silverplate rule takes place, unless you which to damage the item trying to find out.   I also note and just may be the lighting but the engraving look like a different shade then the silver, much like the engraving is exposing nickle silver, therefore making then plate.  I have looked around a bit and will look a bit more, but we need to establish the marks to go further into this endeavor.   Remember I first rule to any item is it's looks and uniqueness,  These are very nice items and as a set and with the case I would say the items are worth a bit just based on this, I would proudly have these hanging on my wall with my other friends  ;D.     

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2009, 08:34:19 pm »
I did forget to add even silverplate tarnish just like sterling, and 40+ years from germany does not make then sterling, This is the time that silverplate ruled even over sterling.

unknownlife

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2009, 09:42:41 pm »
i see, well thank you all so much for the information, i will check out that other forum and see what they think.